Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM L76 lifter rattle when cold WTF?

HUX 90

POSION VE SS UTE
Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE SS UTE
So just to update this a bit, i've sent off a letter via registered post to Holden stating the issues i have. Lets see where we go from here. You'll have to excuse methough, i'm a bit of an optimist :)

Nothing wrong with being on optimist mate. Let us know what the response is, mabey we should all start sending letters off about this issue.

no1pedross

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
engine noise

All the alloy chev engines make these noises Difference is that the old cast iron blocks absorbed the internal noises. Now with cast alloy blocks The alloy amplifies the noises with in. Hence the reason why holden puts the big ugly plastic engine covers on them to absorb and reflect the noise

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
OldDog,

Any update mate on the letter and resolve from Holden to fix (or replace) your engine?

Cheers
Phil

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Not as yet Phil, i'd like to think they are "considering their response". As soon as i hear something i'll be sure to post it up, and i'm hoping that it will be something positive too.

Cheers

Bill

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Fair enough... The video you posted of your engine noise, that is currently how it sounds yeah?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
That was taken before they fixed it the first time, but its now back to that level again. Same noise, same symptoms etc

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
So has Holden (your local dealer) said they are going to still fix the current problem again and what course of action are they taking this time? Or have things gone the other way hence the letter to the GM of Holden.

Cheers
Phil

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Phil, talking to the service manager at Holden he wants me to bring it down when the DSM is there and let him hear it and reccomend a repair. Basically the same as last time ie i leave the car in the workshop overnight then first thing the next morning they start it up, the DSM will say "Oh it has a rattling lefter" and they will offer to replace it. Problem is that if it didn't work last time then i doubt it'll work this time. Call me crazy but i'm wondering if its a problem with the block, lifter bores in particular or maybe an oil gallery?

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Interesting. Just had a call from the dealer in Dubbo, they have some engineer type people coming up after the June long weekend to look t it so the car is booked in for Tuesday 14th for them to inspect it and they are giving me a rental car to get home in. I assume it will stay there until fixed.