Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

AFM mode

sweet VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE- SS- S2
Hi guys just wondering if the AFM gets turned off when an OTR intake is installed. Iv had 1 fitted an have noticed the 4 cylinder mode no longer operates. Im not whinging about the extra fuel usage as its very minimal. Just curious . Or maybe i have an issue.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
The tuner can turn AFM off when they do a tune, im assuming your you had your car tuned when you got the OTR installed?

sweet VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE- SS- S2
Yes it was turned at the same time. And it does have a bit more bang now iv had the intake changed. I thought the only time they turned it off was when you change a crank. Wasn't sure y it was turned off for a tune though.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
Did you want it turned off? Or did they do it with out asking

sweet VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE- SS- S2
Ye it was done without asking. I will speak with the tuner this week and work out the good and bad if there's any. I just drove a long hwy trip and thats when i found out.

torana355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SERIES 2 MY11 SSV A6 in IVY GREEN
Ye it was done without asking. I will speak with the tuner this week and work out the good and bad if there's any. I just drove a long hwy trip and thats when i found out.

Besides slightly worse fuel economy there is no real downside to having it turned off. Most tuners prefer to turn it off and will do so unless you specify that you want to keep it enabled.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
They turn it off in most instances because most aftermarket exhausts drone like **** with it turned on.

I had mine turned off. I do #### all highway driving. I noticed a very minimal difference in terms of fuel economy. If you were to travel on the freeway a lot. You might notice it a bit more, I tend to hover around the 8-9L/100km mark and typically with AFM on it was around the 8 mark.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Active Fuel Management doesn't affect performance, likely tuner loaded generic HP sports tune, which doesn't have it enabled. Same thing happened to me with first tune when I bought my car, had to take it back and argue why I wanted the performance tune plus AFM economy.
Basically he didn't know how to do that because (although one of Sydney's most 'reputable' tuners) no one asked for that, questioned the validity of retaining AFM in the tune before. Together we went into the calibration and enabled it again.
All this is to say most tuners start with flashing a generic tune and rest on their laurels and reputation as to why things are done a particular way.
AFM is a good thing unless you whack on generic old mufflers that are not designed for the car, up to AFM spec.
Get up 'im, otherwise he's dialed your engine back a decade technologically.

bozodos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 MY06
You're best off asking the tuner why he turned it off, you'll likely get the same response as what Grennan gave you.

Pirate likes AFM, most tuners do not, and its not through a lack of competence as he implies. If your tuner thought it was beneficial, or could be kept and used to a benefit, I'm sure they would have kept it.

As you've seen, it was a bit of a gimmick to massage better fuel economy from factory standard engines, and was never intended to be used for performance applications (hence the lack of it on the LS3 etc).

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
It is exactly through lack of tuning competence. Any tuner who can't explain why they don'tre-enable it (apart from the noise when putting non-AFM mufflers on), is not only incompetent but backward thinking. Go somewhere else or PM me, or Rick Crawford, or Pat Guerra.
BTW stock LS3 is what it is, but with a few mods becomes a lesser performance variant than the L99 with VVT, which also has AFM.
Bozo is thinking about older LS1 generation tuning rhetoric bandied about a decade ago when nobody had an idea of GenIV developments, never mind the current Gen V Direct injection engines which have AFM, as does our current L77.
Or perhaps all this new fan-dangled technology is indeed just a gimmick and we are all sycophantic to US CARB laws (conspiracy)!