Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Afstruct's 06 buell Firebolt

H

harrop.senator

Always liked these things but couldn't get over the 7k redline lol. Love the full fairing models.

I'd love another v twin. Looking at 600s as need a new grocery getter as my 750 got nicked but parts of me just says go buy a firestorm lol. Looked at TLR or a long time but the price has jumped with their cult status. Be almost SP1 spec soon.

H

harrop.senator

Also as a daily rider myself buy some carbon enforced knuckles. I find reducing unnecessary weight of unused side mirrors can wake cage operators up for the next rider lol.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Yeah, I've always had twins , so more used to the low rev limit, although 7 is right down there .
First time I hit limiter , so annoyed being stuck behind this van ( one of those personal transport mini vans) when I got the chance to over take, 2nd gear hit limiter before I'd passed the front of van and I'm going why's it sound so crap (what have I done).ha ha ha.
Determined to try and get back into more bike use for normal to work transport,use to use at any opportunity.
Suzuki is first in line 4 I've owned, so trying to remember to to hold on to those gears longer and also keep it higher in rev range for response and torque is a fun/ frustrating challenge for me .
Trying to remember that Suzuki is only just starting to get going when buell has hit red line, ( why I love it, for me so different) ,that and Suzuki had stock exhaust, so quiet ( (I really notice the difference in driver response, no respect with the Suzuki) .
Holding that lower gear from even reasonably low revs through to 12000 plus is a different buzz.

H

harrop.senator

What Zuk is it one I just had nicked was a Zuk shoulda kept the one before it lol.

Yeah the v twins I've ridden still pulled 9-11k lol. The only thing I didn't like about the Buell i rode was how low on power it was when my mate on my bike pulled up next to me. It felt so fast with the low down torque but it wasn't lol.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah the amount of lane splitting is not the same hear as I'm use to in Sydney ( when I was there) , (always remember one guy at work , told me that , got a bike partly because every day id pass him in the traffic every day ,sometimes I recon the que was so long he'd not even see me get near the front of line) , where you were doing it everywhere and made a huge difference.
Here traffic is getting worse ( as I'm sure it is everywhere), but for half the trip it's really open, even 100 km zone ( why the cars fuel use is fairly reasonable, even for the daily work run), but still can't beat ( or come anywhere near) fuel use of bike or fun in a different way

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
As I said some tradies ( work utes) that first half of trip home, sometimes I just have to be patient and think when we hit town/ traffic, try and do this in your ute ( lane split ) see ya ha ha ha .
Always remember one morning in Sydney going to Bankstown area in normal peak hour time ( normally missed that with my start times ) , I'd cruise up through traffic to front at lights , take off ,look in mirror this one guy in a car in and out of traffic blast past me keep going in and out of traffic and next set of lights I'd cruise past him again. This continuesd for quite a few sets of lights and all I could do was laugh and think how much easier ( and less dangerous) am I doing it than you.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sometimes especially resonatly think some of these idiots do this just to try and prove a point ( I can keep up with you) ,
Just suck it up if you need to use / or chose today to drive , and get over it or get a bike for the daily grind and enjoy a different type of travel.
Actually I think they don't ride at all (surely) because like me if I've driven that day I go oh well I wish I rode today but accept that I didn't .

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah boss had heated grips on his DL650 when he had it. Man when I used to ride on the road best I had was thick gloves, a flanny under my leather jacket and a skung over the top, orr and a balaklava. Not even a faring, bike was too old for that....
One of mates at work got a dl 650 ( small world in my industry last employer we worked together he rode all the time, ( now not sure if it's even still registered).
Another guy use to put newspaper in front of chest under jacket .
When I first started there his three vehicles were
a Ducati sd 900
a moto guzzi 750s
and a 6 cylinder ford F100
How cool!!!!!!

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah, buell has nowhere near the power of a any other large capacity sports bike .
Suzuki is a fairly old one and I don't think ever really popular.
A 1993 RF 600 , bought it off a mate in 2000 and then sat in his shed for 5 years before I picked it up.
Always liked the TL 1000 , the firestorm ( at least the early ones) have such a small range.
Suzuki sv 650 or dl 650 ? Although probably not enough grunt for you .

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

I liked the sv650 first road bike I ever had was a hyosung 650 sold it when I got my opens and had tracked down an original cbr 893.

I'm a funny one with bikes I like a peaky bike for daily duties as it keeps the fines down. My last bike was a gsxf 750 which somehow was capable of 11's. It felt like it were slow enough to catch cancer and not much else. Surprised me when it hung close to bikes I thought were quick but lol.

For daily duties I'm looking for less torque. It's not often I take a bike over 6 or 7 without wanting to give it to it and when I do I'm willing to work out the consequences what ever they may be.

I dailied a 167rwhp gsxr1000 with almost everything out the Yoshi catalogue for six months. But you could legit go quarter throttle changing at 5-6 and hit 160 in about ten seconds. You had to be constantly watching the Speedo or be worried for fines.

I'm thinking vfr800 or cbr600f4i. Half the time with the gsxf the torque wasn't there and you'd look down and be doing ten under the limit or bang on it lol. I'm very bad for not looking at my Speedo and just doing what feels comfortable and after a couple years of torquey big super sports it's not a good thing.

Hell I did 6000k's on my Honda since I've owned it and the Speedos been incorrect whole time from dropping two front teeth and haven't ran a healer yet haha.