Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After a new sub, want recommendations

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Hi guys,

I'm after recommendations for a new sq sub, old sub is really lagging behind the rest of the system. I'd preferably be looking around the $400 price range, whether it be new or second hand (I could probably be convinced to increase the price range if pursuaded). I've got my eyes on a boston g5 or idmax, but would also like any other recommendations you have, aswell as any first hand experience you've had listening to them.

The sub needs to be dual 4 ohm, preferably 12". An Eclipse xa1000 will be feeding it, about 480w rms at 2 ohm. Other stuff I'm running: Eclipse cd5000, Boston pro60, Eclipse ea4100.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
What about the SPL Dynamics XTR series.....they are primarily a SQ sub and have won many SQ contests overseas. They are available in dual 4 and dual 2 ohm configs. and as i own two of the 15" versions i can vouch for their sound ;)

SPL Dynamics Australia - XTR-300D4

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
cheers mate i'll add spl dynamics to the short list.

I was offered an Oz Audio Matrix Elite for $399 shipped... run out price as oz audio went under. Apparently current rrp is $599. Here's a review:
Oz Audio Matrix Elite
Thoughts?

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
I've got an IDMax 12. It is a very good sub! Very good SQ but can also play very loud if you want and not loose much SQ. It can handle being fed 200-1000 watts RMS. Would highly recommend this sub. However it it may be a little expensive for your budget.

2LOUD2OLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
also consider an IDQ, cheaper than an IDMAX and apparently sound better just not as loud. I run a Peerless XXLS, great sub if you can get your hands on one. Or even a Mach 5, have heard one of these and they are really really good, pretty cheap too.
The Oz audios are apprently pretty good too and thats a good price, is it new?

mavro

mavro
Reaction score
Website
www.mavromatis.nl
Members Ride
VX 5.7ss
i like the PIONEER's
check this one out TS-W3002D2|D4
Premier 12" Champion Series PRO Subwoofer with 3500 Watts Max. (1000 Watts Nom.)
i have one in my car sounds g8

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Errr... Pioneer is not a SQ sub :p

I have two IDMax's, I like them :)

This question might be better on MEA where there's more people who know what good SQ is...

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
also consider an IDQ, cheaper than an IDMAX and apparently sound better just not as loud. I run a Peerless XXLS, great sub if you can get your hands on one. Or even a Mach 5, have heard one of these and they are really really good, pretty cheap too.
The Oz audios are apprently pretty good too and thats a good price, is it new?

Cheers for the recommendations mate, I've been looking at the idqs too. Will keep an eye out if any pop up. The Oz audio sub is new, apparently they have a few left unsold at the australian distributor they want to clear out. Its very tempting indeed.

Also mavro, thanks for the recommendation, however I'm looking for something a bit different to a pioneer sub :)

I've got a WTB thread happening on MEA so will see if anything will come of it. Problem is there's pretty much nothing around second hand atm.

2loud2old, really like the way you did your boot install! If ya dont mind I think I might steal your false floor design :thumbsup: btw very jealous of all you guys running idmax's. Didn't know so many people had them!

Last edited:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Just got offered a boston g5, couple months old for $400 shipped. Alright price I reckon. Looks like no idmax for me!

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
so while i wait for my g5 to arrive I thought i'd go to the dark side for a bit... :whistling:whistling

Image036.jpg