Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

after installing 69mmTB

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
ive fixed many vr's with 69mm with sloppy early changes now ive lost count .fitting the v8 stock TB messes with the shifts pretty badly the amount of air getting round the butterfly at low opening % is where it all stems from its set to change at X speed at X TPS% and with the lower throttle % needed to do the same speed it just makes them sloppy as or you need to get on the throttle more its when just cruising around like a nana that is a problem driving with a little aggression they dont do it much at all and WOT is fine of course.also fixed many vs and vt both charged and none charged which both have the same issue

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
righto makes sence.
so what are my options memcal/tune wise?

what prices am i looking at?
will i need additional tunes if i do any more mods further down the track(rockers/spacers)?

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
The shifting characteristics on the VN-VR V6's DON'T change when running a larger throttle body as the flow characteristics don't significantly change per throttle position, unlike a ported ecotec one. Problems like this will most often arise if you have an engine fault code or an aftermarket memcal which has not been calibrated to suit the larger throttle body. The factory memcal in this case is perfectly fine. So did you have a fault code come up when running our larger throttle body or are you running a different memcal from factory?

I am running a different memcal from factory ... but i did swap the factory memcal in and took the car for a run. I just found that the benifits of running the remapped memcal with the standard T\B outweighed running the 70mm T\B with the standard memcal, ie - I prefered how the car drove with standard T\B and tuned memcal.

Car went great at higher revs with your T/B but cruiseing around slowly was a pain in the butt, with both the remapped memcal and the standard memcal, I just havn't got a tune to suit the larger T\B and increased air flow ( was a definate increase in air flow cause my exhaust note had changed quite a bit ) ..... when i get a tune it should all be sweet.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
I am running a different memcal from factory ... but i did swap the factory memcal in and took the car for a run. I just found that the benifits of running the remapped memcal with the standard T\B outweighed running the 70mm T\B with the standard memcal, ie - I prefered how the car drove with standard T\B and tuned memcal.

Car went great at higher revs with your T/B but cruiseing around slowly was a pain in the butt, with both the remapped memcal and the standard memcal, I just havn't got a tune to suit the larger T\B and increased air flow ( was a definate increase in air flow cause my exhaust note had changed quite a bit ) ..... when i get a tune it should all be sweet.
i got one of delco's tune to suit my 69mm Tb and its sweet so much more responsive then standard

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
i got one of delco's tune to suit my 69mm Tb and its sweet so much more responsive then standard

I should get one to put the T\B to good use, mine is on a VR though. At the time i put it on i started a thread about it, and both greenfoam and delcowizzid said they could sort something out ... but delcowizzid was off on holiday and greenfoam would of had to spend a fair bit of time out of his busy schedual to sort a tune out as he hadnt done one for a VR yet i think (he said he would do it if i really wanted it, even though he is of the opinion that a larger TB is not nesesarry on the V6 --- GOOD Bloke:thumbsup:)

I just haven't persued it since then and just put the standard throttle back on.

Do you know anyone with a VR that has the 70mm T/B with a delco or foam tune?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
If I seen a 70 mm throttle body gain more than 1rwkw on a V6 on a legit dyno I would just about eat a throttle body :)

FirstVR_JC

Reaction score
Members Ride
RALLIART Magna
If I seen a 70 mm throttle body gain more than 1rwkw on a V6 on a legit dyno I would just about eat a throttle body :)

^^:rofl:^^..lol.. This comment cracked me up ..lol..

Well, i did test the 70mm throttle body on the dyno and guess what ..... no gain. Used the same dyno, about a year ago got 110.x rwkw with standard TB and just recently got 110.x rwkw with the 70mm TB.

I was going to test again with the 70mm TB and tune to suit but as you know i havnt enquired about getting one as yet .... if i do and get 112rwkw i will remember this comment .. hehe:)

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I remember Cobez gained 1rwkw with a 70mm on his 5 litre but they can suck down alot more air than the V6's :)

MACE

Reaction score
ive fixed many vr's with 69mm with sloppy early changes now ive lost count .fitting the v8 stock TB messes with the shifts pretty badly the amount of air getting round the butterfly at low opening % is where it all stems from its set to change at X speed at X TPS% and with the lower throttle % needed to do the same speed it just makes them sloppy as or you need to get on the throttle more its when just cruising around like a nana that is a problem driving with a little aggression they dont do it much at all and WOT is fine of course.also fixed many vs and vt both charged and none charged which both have the same issue

I still find it extremely difficult to believe that our throttle body (bare in mind that not all throttle bodies on the market are the same!) on a VR V6 will significantly change the shifts on a factory tune.

I can tell you from personal experience that the VR computer is very good at adapting to change. For instance we’ve done an ecotec engine conversion into a VR running the standard VR V6 loom and computer. Changing things like the injectors and temp sensors in the process over to the ecotec engine in the process the car started first time and idled quite well.

The only problem we initially had was that it caused the shifts to be a bit delayed, at the time though we were still running the standard ecotec throttle body which differs significantly to the “buick” throttle body as mentioned previously. To solve this problem all we did was ran one of our ported ecotec throttle bodies bringing the shift quality back to about 95% of that of standard. Not a 100% perfect but considering we undertook a significant mod such as an engine swap without a tune it goes to show how adaptable these computers are :)

righto makes sence.
so what are my options memcal/tune wise?

what prices am i looking at?
will i need additional tunes if i do any more mods further down the track(rockers/spacers)?

There are a few suppliers of memcals on the market, ourselves included. If you let the company know of your requires (including future mods) they’ll best be able to advise you on what exactly they can supply :)

In regards to how the car drove down low was that because it was a bit too responsive then you would have liked? If so they a tune can definitely dull down the responsiveness a little, however in quoting WogBoyz below some people really like the way these throttle bodies can wake up the V6 :D

Would you like a side of salad or chips with your 70mm throttle body :p

^^:rofl:^^..lol.. This comment cracked me up ..lol..

Well, i did test the 70mm throttle body on the dyno and guess what ..... no gain. Used the same dyno, about a year ago got 110.x rwkw with standard TB and just recently got 110.x rwkw with the 70mm TB.

I was going to test again with the 70mm TB and tune to suit but as you know i havnt enquired about getting one as yet .... if i do and get 112rwkw i will remember this comment .. hehe:)

In all fairness not a lot was gained with the memcal when testing was done either, despite the apparent real world gains from the seat of the pants meter :p Let alone improvements in drivability and responsiveness, which can’t really be measured on a dyno

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/tuning/84978-dyno-results-ebay-performance-chip-6.html

Now I’m not saying that these items don’t work, as from experience they certainly do, however the fact that the testing was done a year apart leaves open way too many variables that would compromise the accuracy of the results. For arguments sake, car may have experienced more wear, different tires, different oil, strapped down differently, different operator etc.

I remember Cobez gained 1rwkw with a 70mm on his 5 litre but they can suck down alot more air than the V6's :)

True, but the main restriction in the 5L’s is mainly the manifold around the elbow where the throttle body bolts up to. In the case of the V6’s the main restriction is the throttle body as they fortunately have much more of an open free flowing manifold design :)

11gothevt11

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Sedan
It's not a problem, its just obvious, you are opening the throttle more but the tps is staying the same

I am have got a larger air flow meter and getting a larger throttle body
What kind of tune is needed ?? how much?