Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After-market Bi-Modal exhaust options

Ralph

Reaction score
This forum has been a great source of reading... must have spent half my Sunday here reading up on all things VF.

I am looking to make my SSV sound a bit more like a V8 (and thanks for all the advice there, convinced me to jump on a VF1 and bolt on an exhaust).

When it comes to mechanical things; i dont know a whole lot other then reading and researching the **** out of it online.

What's important to me is that the car isn't over the top loud (and that is hugely subjective appreciate it). I don't want to be getting issues from the Po Po, at the same time i want my car to have a nice deep note.

I am not that phased about it providing adding performance. What does a VF SSV do, 0-100 in 5.5? 5.1? seconds... fast enough for me.... i just want to hear how it gets there. So maybe just cat back system? (or should i be thinking something else - remember i am a dummy with this stuff). I also dont want to void any warranties

I definitely do not want any droning or annoying noises on highway driving if the AFM kicks in, i do do a bit of driving (or my kid tells me its 'too noisey'... he puts ear muffs on when i start my Triumph Thunderbird up so dont need him wanting wear them in the car!). From the research the electric bi modal options seem to suit me best. So i can turn i can effectively turn the noise on or off (back to how it sounds out of the showroom - is that correct?).

Looking at the Bi Modal options... i have found the following:

- xForce which i saw on a Tekno demo video... seemed the business.... but they do seem costly.

- Harrop Exhausts - that look the business, says they are bi modal but couldn't seem to see much about that (is it more mechnical, it kicks in a certain RPMs?)

- there is the walkingshaw / delphinos but wasnt sure they were bi modal?

- Are there other brands that do the ? I honestly have been googling and searching the website, but havent seen that many other options

I've read about the Marriage Savers reducing drone (is the a video of what this drone is?) and potentially Manta exhausts, that reduce the drone, but i really want the flexibility of being quiet if i am getting home late... or if the neighbour has a stupid f**k off party on a school night, i can rocket it up at 5.30am to wake them up!

As always... thanks for the insights and helpful tips! Happy to do the research, just looking for brands to look into.

Ralph

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
The Rapid Exhaust (DG Pipes or Marriage Savers ) are never going to give you that stealth you're wanting. They crackle and burbble and are loud like a straight pipe exhaust. They sound like a V8 should, all the time.
To be honest if you're wanting something that is only loud when you kick it but doesn't have drone (AFM or rpm drone @ ~1600 rpm-ish in 3rd gear) your best option might be to leave the stock mufflers on the end and go with extractors and high flow cats. Give it a boot full and your neighbors will know it's you or creep home at night and keep the kids asleep.
Moving away from stock extractors and cats is never a bad thing for an LS engine but its not without its cost.

sakatumi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Sportswagon
- Harrop Exhausts - that look the business, says they are bi modal but couldn't seem to see much about that (is it more mechnical, it kicks in a certain RPMs?)

Ralph

I myself have been eyeing off the 2.5" Harrop cat back. I like you want a v8 sound and wouldn't mind a bit of performance gain. I watched a few videos on YouTube with the Harrop and it sounds pretty good, just worried about auto with AFM and if it would drone in the cabin much.
I am don't think they are bimodal, at least the ones I was looking at $1980 for the cat back.

Ralph

Reaction score
The Rapid Exhaust (DG Pipes or Marriage Savers ) are never going to give you that stealth you're wanting. They crackle and burbble and are loud like a straight pipe exhaust. They sound like a V8 should, all the time.
To be honest if you're wanting something that is only loud when you kick it but doesn't have drone (AFM or rpm drone @ ~1600 rpm-ish in 3rd gear) your best option might be to leave the stock mufflers on the end and go with extractors and high flow cats. Give it a boot full and your neighbors will know it's you or creep home at night and keep the kids asleep.
Moving away from stock extractors and cats is never a bad thing for an LS engine but its not without its cost.

Thanks for the reply. Only comment i'd add - its not just about when i kick it for the V8 Noise. i imagine i'd run the noise 80% of the time. I just want the flexibility to be make it stealth when i want .. which was why the xForce option seemed attractive (although seemed quite $$$$).

This does sound the business.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA22K1c-UxM

Last edited by a moderator:

sakatumi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Sportswagon
Thanks for the reply. Only comment i'd add - its not just about when i kick it for the V8 Noise. i imagine i'd run the noise 80% of the time. I just want the flexibility to be make it stealth when i want .. which was why the xForce option seemed attractive (although seemed quite $$$$).

This does sound the business.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA22K1c-UxM

That does sound pretty good. Probably a good option for you given you have kids and can just turn it off with the flick of a switch, especially that you would drive with it open most of the time. The price seems not too bad given its 3" and varex. I called Harrop and its $2200 installed for the 2.5" cat back.

I am looking for something that's almost standard normal driving but with a bit of a deeper sound and opens up when you give it a bit. Sort of like an AMG C63, quiet unless you give it a bit of throttle but if you don't you can still hear it's a V8 when it takes off.
Anyone know if the Harrop 2.5" is what I'm after? I haven't heard one in real life.

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I've got the Xforce 2 1/2" SS catback with the Varex bimodals, I had them installed with a otr cai by walkinshaw and a 98 dyno tune, cost just over 3 but it's well worth it.
I must say it has developed a slight drone, certainly not annoying I can live with it, around the 1600 to 1900 rpms maybe, just change gear or push the loud pedal harder it goes away, it doesn't do it in stealth mode. It was done a few months now and I love the sound it makes.

Ralph

Reaction score
should i go with Stainless Steel or mild steel? Stainless steel has a 5 year warranty vs 1 year of mild steel. about $350 difference. the varex muffler bit is stainless, so its just the rest to the cat back that i need to decide on.

VF Redline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I went with the Stainless as it will be good for 10 years or more, I didn't want to have to replace the exhaust in another 5 years or so, it will be many more $ to replace it then.

Why?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Harrop enhanced VF Redline Manual
That does sound pretty good. Probably a good option for you given you have kids and can just turn it off with the flick of a switch, especially that you would drive with it open most of the time. The price seems not too bad given its 3" and varex. I called Harrop and its $2200 installed for the 2.5" cat back.

I am looking for something that's almost standard normal driving but with a bit of a deeper sound and opens up when you give it a bit. Sort of like an AMG C63, quiet unless you give it a bit of throttle but if you don't you can still hear it's a V8 when it takes off.
Anyone know if the Harrop 2.5" is what I'm after? I haven't heard one in real life.

I have the Harrop 2.5 inch and am in Melbourne if you want to hear it in the flesh. In Brunswick if that helps.