Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After Market Head Unit

obe1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chev Lumina SS
Hopefully buying a new VY in the next couple of weeks.

I want to replace the stock Blaupunkt unit with my Alpine CDA-9811. Does anyone know if these stock units are double din or something silly like 1 7/8??

In the US you can get vehicle specific installation adapters that enable you to fit an aftermarket head unit into a factory opening - but no commodores in the US! Is there anything like this available in Oz? or does everyone just jury rig something to fit.

There is a site - www.aerpro.com - that sells wiring harnesses, but I didn't see anything for fitting the unit into a bigger opening.

One more thing - when looking at the car, I noticed two holes in the sides of the HU. Could these be for special tools to remove it??

cheers

obe1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chev Lumina SS
oops! just found some housing bits on aerpro. They've got some cool looking cd trays that would fill the gap quite nicely.

They've also got facias for VN-VS.... VY a bit too new me thinks..

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
sorry dude i don't think anyone could answer your question, most of the guys here don't drive vy's

sorry

scott

obe1k

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Chev Lumina SS
Yeah once a few more people start getting them, there's sure to be a few wanting to replace their stock head units.

I'll persevere and see how I go. I'll post my adventures.

Now all I need to do is get the car.....

dsvtss

Reaction score
I'm led to believe that the Blauplunkt unit in the VY is actually larger than a Double Din, but i'm sure you would still be able to get a pocket or plate to fill the gap

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
I'd say its larger than a double din too...the head unit looks taller than the one that came in our VX.

H

hotwheels

obe1k said:
Hopefully buying a new VY in the next couple of weeks.

One more thing - when looking at the car, I noticed two holes in the sides of the HU. Could these be for special tools to remove it??
cheers
The holes are for the headunit keys if you go to any good caraudio shop they should have a set of keys to fit the vy the keys are similar to the vt/vx keys just wider.

dsvtss

Reaction score
The head units in the VY are larger than double din, bit i'm led to believe (don't quote me), that some of the controls for the stereo are intergrated into the dash, so you can't really change the head unit. This seems to be happening across the board with all the manufacturers, the Mazda 6 is like it, and so is the BA falcon

R

Rippa

There are indeed controls on the steering wheel of VYs and it displays status on the dash display. However I don't see any reason why you can't replace the head unit. It just means that the wheel controls etc. won't work. You can make them work using adapters if your aftermarket head unit manufacturer has them though I'm not sure of any manufacturers making adapters for the VY other than Blaupunkt themselves at this stage.

mozvx

Reaction score
Keys? To remove the head unit?
2 pieces of coat hanger wire bent into a "U" shape do the trick.
Obviously bent as wide as the holes and just push it in to release the unit.
(VX II btw.)