Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After market windscreen wipers and better motor fitted to VH?

budgieVH

get in shut up nd hang on
Reaction score
Members Ride
Injected 5ltr VH SL/E-VH Blue 202-GQ Nissan Patrol
yeah im sick of the old windscreen wipers shaking and stuff across the window... can you put an new motor in it say like off a vl vn or something like that?

and what about after market wind screen wipers?

i like the silver ones i seen in repco but they only fit VL-VT commodores!

thanks =D

Last edited:

benny999

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh sle 5ltr 83
i have a motor in mine from a vl and the arms but there not any faster but them shaking across the window is what mine did before they died must be your motor dying i would think

budgieVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
i have a motor in mine from a vl and the arms but there not any faster but them shaking across the window is what mine did before they died must be your motor dying i would think

haha yeah there really bad on low speed! high speed is like what normal used to be..

so the VL motor fits strait in?

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
mine do the same. I thought it might have been my 20 year old windscreen that was the problem because it had heaps of tiny pits from over the years. But I've recently put a new screen in and whilst it has improved the wiper shudder, it still is there. I have also replaced the complete wiper blade mount with a new part and had no joy.

I'm not sure it would be the wiper motor at fault, wiper motors don't do a lot of work (low rpm and only get used maybe a few hours a year at most) and they are a fairly rugged built motor, so I don't see them wearing out. More likely it's a voltage drop problem (like most electrics on early Commodores). I've replaced so many connectors and rewired in an effort to overcome voltage drop in the old wiring. I might check out what sort of voltage my wiper motor is getting - might be worth running a relay

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
mine were shaking n being retarted in mine untill i but new blade refils in. problem solved for me :)
i wouldnt have a clue mate, try find some vh ones jsut incase they dont

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
We once used the motor out of a wagon's tailgate on one of our cars, put it in the middle and had one wiper doing the whole window.....didn't use it for too long tho, just curious if it would work so decided to try it.

budgieVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
okay i can do a voltage test.. i mi ght try putting a VL motor in to see if it makes a differance..

i have replaced the blades that did nothing for me and the window has only been tinted once.

running a relay, what difference would that make?

thanks

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
i replaced the whole armature, polished the windscreen and no shudder or squeeks. my relay is a bit gggay so intermittant sometimes stops right in the middle of the windscreen, but yeah. the whole armature is about 15 bucks and windscreens obrien can polish you glass for around 50 (if you dont have a buff)

budgieVH

Reaction score
Members Ride
i replaced the whole armature, polished the windscreen and no shudder or squeeks. my relay is a bit gggay so intermittant sometimes stops right in the middle of the windscreen, but yeah. the whole armature is about 15 bucks and windscreens obrien can polish you glass for around 50 (if you dont have a buff)

so what benefit am i getting by using a relay in the circut? oh and i looked at VL wiper arms and motor.. they will fit to VH so i might do that tomoro night or friday!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
okay i can do a voltage test.. i mi ght try putting a VL motor in to see if it makes a differance..

i have replaced the blades that did nothing for me and the window has only been tinted once.

running a relay, what difference would that make?

thanks

Wiring in old cars tends to build up resistance over time, and the switch for devices takes the full load of the circuit. A relay allows you take the load off the wiper switch & wiring by powering the wiper motor direct from the battery or another good power source. Commodores from VK onward used relays for most high load devices such as wipers, headlights etc in order to reduce the chances of voltage drop and resistance build up in switches.