Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

After mechanic fixed the streering rack turning wheels a bit rough

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I had a leak from the steering rack and gave it to the mechanic to fix and he told me he replaced the pressure hose too. I pick it up today and just turning out of the workshop and I feel that steering is not smooth, a bit rough when i turn close to the max. Not heavy,not vibrating, it just feels like the system was stressed.
It is supposed to be like that? One would think it should be very smooth when turning.

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Might have some air trapped in it try turn it full lock a few times either way preferably on jack stands as dry turning isn't ideal for your steering linkages but if you haven't got any what can you do ..after that check the reservoir is at rite level

falcodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 Holden Calais
Yep, make sure you've got enough fluid in there and turn the wheels lock to lock a few times to purge any air in the system. Then check the fluid level again.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
From the Holden VT/VX Service Manual:

BLEEDING/REFILLING PROCEDURE
1. Raise front of vehicle and place on safety stands.
2. With engine not running, add fluid to reservoir to the maximum mark (or greater, if it is known that the steering gear is empty).
3. Start engine and allow to run for only 2-3 seconds. Do not turn the steering wheel at this point.
4. Continue with Steps 2 and 3 until the fluid level remains constant.
5. Start and run the engine at idle speed, turning the steering wheel from lock to lock, without holding at the full lock positions (this will build up high pressures, atomising any entrapped air). Repeat this procedure from six to eight times. Stop the engine, check the fluid level and top up to the maximum level, as required.
6. Start and run the engine at idle speed. Again turn the steering wheel from lock to lock but now slowly build up the pressure levels by holding against the full lock position from 1-2 seconds. Repeat this procedure from four to six times. Stop the engine and top up the fluid level to the maximum mark, as required.
NOTE:
While the majority of entrapped air will be removed by the above process, a small amount may remain, which can only be removed by alternate circulation and settling of the fluid for a prolonged period. This is usually achieved automatically after two to three days, with daily driving and settling overnight.
7. Turn the steering wheel to the straight ahead position, lower vehicle to the ground and turn ignition 'OFF'.

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
I paid them good money to get the job done. I didn't see the need for me to bleed it myself and if I did (and did not work) they will say i stuffed it up.
gave them the car back (to bleed the system) while i went for a walk for a couple of hours. when I picked it up it was the same!
(vibrating when I turn the wheels when i park in tight spots).
Called them to make a time to properly bleed the system. They asked me to leave the car and they will call me when they finish. they called me too late to pick it up on the same day and i left the car with them overnight. when I went the following day (around 3pm) to pick up the car, they said they replaced the (brand new) pressure hose and said that they drained the ATF and replaced it. They also said that the following morning the ATF dropped and they added 200ml (ain't that too much??)
They acknowledged (as they were giving me back the car) that it was still vibrating when you try to park the car, but i also reckon that it is slightly vibrating as well when idle. All they said was 'see how you go' as they were busy dealing with other customers waiting. WTF??

Last edited:

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Thanks for the useful information :)
sounds like you still have a leak somewhere especially if it dropped overnight without driving vehicle and air is still getting into steering rack :)

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Vibrating? Never herd of a steering rack vibrate engine at low revs can while full lock if the idle control valve not picking up the revs.
To bleed the system raise both wheels off the ground with engine off and with the steering wheel unlocked just turn the wheels using the tires by going back and forth till no more air showing up in the canister.

Member 1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
Vibrating?
that was the term they used.
when the engine is running and the car is not moving, the engine is not running as smooth as it used to be. Not literally vibrating per se.
when the wheels are turned close to max, there is a sound and slight vibration.

one of the mechanics there told me he personally has a holden like mine, with double the km, and more wear and tear but his engine is running, what i understood as, smoother (he said not vibrating as mine).