Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Amp Power Cable

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
Hello. What would be the most convenient place to connect an aftermarket amp's power supply lead to in a VE Series 1 SSV? The amp has it's own 30A fuse. And the ground? I'd rather not run it all the way back to the battery terminal, it's not a huge amp (4x50w). Thanks :)

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Where are you planning on installing the amp?

VT13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina V6 Sedan
Anyone? There is a fuse box in the front passenger footwell, would that be an easy access point?

No mate, there are micro amps available that you can wire into your factory audio circuit, however anything else needs a dedicated power wire direct from the battery, with an inline fuse as close as possible to the battery (max 1ft cable to fuse). Note the amp fuses job is to protect the amp, it won't protect your power wire. If the power wire shorts to ground it will burn, an inline fuse as close as possible to the battery is a must to eliminate fire risk.

8 gauge wire with a 60amp fuse will suffice for 4x50w with a run up to 20ft.

Lensman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
No mate, there are micro amps available that you can wire into your factory audio circuit, however anything else needs a dedicated power wire direct from the battery, with an inline fuse as close as possible to the battery (max 1ft cable to fuse). Note the amp fuses job is to protect the amp, it won't protect your power wire. If the power wire shorts to ground it will burn, an inline fuse as close as possible to the battery is a must to eliminate fire risk.

8 gauge wire with a 60amp fuse will suffice for 4x50w with a run up to 20ft.

Thanks VTI3 for your reply. I bit the bullet today and ran some 6mm (50 amp) cable to the battery. Wasn't as hard as I'd thought it would be, though every time I remove a panel on this vehicle I seem to break a clip or a mount, they seem so fragile (Araldite is my friend). I've put a 30 amp inline fuse in about 15cm from the battery (the instructions recommend either the same 30A rating or above - I only had a max 30A on hand). A bonus is that I think I've discovered why she cranks so slowly, the positive battery terminal was corroded and had snapped in one place (looked perfect from the outside), so tomorrow I'll replace both terminals and see if she sparks up better.