Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

aftermarket amp with factory subwoofers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Hi my vf has the factory bose sound system with two factory subwoofers on the parcel shelf but they lack punch. Has anyone connected the factory subwoofers to an aftermarket amp and if it is worth it?

thanks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
You can replace the factory amp in the boot with an aftermarket one quite easily but the subs on the parcel shelf vibrate the shelf/trimmings on it and it sounds like ass.
What i do is switch out the factory amp and put 1 or 2 12inch boxed subs in the boot and disconnect the parcel shelf ones.
It provides a lot of thump without the rattles of the trims.

RedMSE

Reaction score
Members Ride
MSE
I've got a 350w amp powering the factory subs with sound deadening on the rear parcel shelf to help with the rattles. It was only intended to be an interim solution until replacing the entire system and reusing this amp for new speakers. For this purpose, it was definitely worth the money and has made the system much more tolerable - it improved it more than I expected. The biggest issue is you can "hear" the subs as there's a lot of extra noise but you still don't "feel" them - would need to go new subs as stooge suggested for that.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
you don't even need to spend a lot to get a decent sound.
my amp is a 150w kicker dual channel with 2x 12 inch subs.
its cheap and old but does the trick
20190425-172728.jpg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
i have plenty of of old amps and subs laying around but this time i am trying to go as stealth as possible