Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket double-din head unit options

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by akqrate, Apr 17, 2009.

1. akqrate

akqrate New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    If you've looked at my other threads I'm thinking about replacing the faceplate on the VZ commy's radio/cd player because the 'dark tempest' paint is peeling away.

I'm thinking whether it might be better to just go for a double-din mp3 or dvd player instead. What's the cheapest that I can be expected to pay for dvd players, and cheapest on mp3 players? I'll stick to pioneer or alpine with the mp3, but dvd players i'm ok with any of the major ones.
    Also I assume these will completely wreck my steering wheel controls?

2. 84dez

84dez New Member

Members Ride:
    vz sv6
    dvd player is the way i wanna go and yes u will loose ur controls but talk to the guys at the audio shop as u can get a plug that makes them work again also shop around as i got told one price for the connector from one shop then went up the road and they had to same thing for like $200 less also if u go dvd headunit u can always buy the headrest ones as SLAVES which cost less then buying one dvd head reast and one not.

all depends on what u want as u cant watch dvds as u drive but a dvd screen or touchscreen mp3 player is the way i would go

3. Ozzie

Ozzie JCCC Warrnambool

Members Ride:
    Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
    if your after decent quality your looking at $600 + for either a dvd or mp3.
    if you go a dvd player it will also play mp3 (most do)

but if your after cheap then look at ebay. there on there for about $500 (but you get what you pay for)

4. akqrate

akqrate New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    There are 2 clarion dvd ones under $500 at Soundmaster Car Audio & Alarms - Best prices on Car Audio, Alarms and Accessories but they are unwilling to move on price for installation otherwise I'd be up for it. They're saying for the $479 one fitted they want $680. They also want $50 for an unpainted black fascia to go on the sides, which is included in that price. No way a piece of black plastic can be worth that much, and the last time I got my deck installed, usual install price was $50-$80, not over $100.

If anyone on here is considering getting one, let's get a bulk discount.

Ryda and Lifestyle store are also at the same price, I wonder if I can get an independent installer.

5. Escape-The-Fate

Escape-The-Fate HSV, i just want one

Members Ride:
    VE SS, M6
    hey bud..with any aftermarket head unit..you can buy a connector that re-enables your stearing wheel controls...i was speaking to a dude at goldcoast car sound in brissy and he showed me them..they arnt cheap something in the vecinity of $150-200..but i love the steering wheel controls and would be willing to pay that

and my paint on the next button on my factory head unit is starting to peel so will be getting sound done soonish

6. akqrate

akqrate New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    Thanks mate... I just wanted a fascia to go with the factory colour of the commy... was researching all night on it... have seen 2 places that do them... might not get the steering wheel controls done right now. Still tossing up just getting Phreddy's aux in done and replacing the radio button peel from a wrecker or go the full dvd unit install.

7. Pete_perth

Pete_perth Pedro

Members Ride:
    VZ Adventra V6
    This is what I got.

EFrontier - GPS Receivers and Bluetooth for Australia and NZ Car DVD with GPS Navigator

I heard a lot about the Caska unit on a number of different forums. I decided to buy one, am just waiting for my tyre pressure monitoring system to arrive and then I am going to spend a day or two installing everything into the Adventra. Am looking forward to seeing how it goes.
    There is also an Australian distributor called Polaris and you can see the same system here:

Polaris GPS

8. akqrate

akqrate New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    VERY INTRIGUING. Does this support divx? and steering wheel controls?

9. SeanVZute

SeanVZute New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Ute 3.6L
    I got quoted $1599 for top of line alpine DVD unit. full touch screen. plays divx etc. also has Ipod and USB in which is good.

10. Pete_perth

Pete_perth Pedro

Members Ride:
    VZ Adventra V6
    I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but the users manual states that it has intelligent steering wheel control learning (will have to see if it can learn the Holden one). Again, I am not sure about the DIVX will be able to tell you more once I have the thing in the car. I know that it runs a version of WIN CE and some people have gained access to the actual WIN operating system and are running all sorts of things on it.

11. ashbox

ashbox back in black

Members Ride:
    something black
    yeah but a dvd player takes ALOT longer and is alot more complex to install with wires going here and there, even if you go single din mp3 you're gonna have to buy the surround for it to fit. 600 mark for a dd dvd player is pretty decent.

12. andyman

andyman The Only 6sp VZ Wagon

Members Ride:
    2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
    i thought alpine head units had steering wheels control inputs?

13. Sash182

Sash182 Guest

i've had the caska head unit and had huge problems with the gps, it was the model that had the gps box separate where i think the newest ones come built in. The steering controls work very well but i found when u have a vast collection of music and movies its almost impossible to find a particular track plus i like the idea of having the last song come back on when u start the car rather than go back to the start of the track list.

Pete_perth if u get stuck installing i have a pdf file for the vz with install info and pictures such as the pins for steering wheel controls

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2009
  14. Pete_perth

Pete_perth Pedro

Members Ride:
    VZ Adventra V6
    Cheers Sash182 - you have just become my new best friend :bow:. If you could send me the pdf to pedro@upnaway.com that would be great. I haven't had a chance to install it yet (been working too much) plus am waiting for a few more things to come in (tyre pressure monitoring system) before I start pulling my interior apart. Will have to take some pics of the install and do a bit of a show and tell LOL :)

15. akqrate

akqrate New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Executive
    Man that would suck, having to start at the same song every day.
    I changed my mind and went Phreddy's stealth mod aux in. I wasn't getting any straight answers on steering wheel controls and was quoted all these extra things like paying another $150 on top to bypass the security that switches off your DVDs when the car is in motion etc. Decided at the end that all the headache and money wasn't going to be worth it in the end for me.

16. Pete_perth

Pete_perth Pedro

Members Ride:
    VZ Adventra V6
    OK, well I think I have broken the world record for the longest time taken to install a stereo (been working heaps). But I have managed to get it in. With the extra help of a couple of JC members, I have been able to get the steering wheel controls to work and it's excellent.

The unit doesn't start at the begining of your MP3's, it starts at the begining of the song of where you left off. Hoping to get my tyre pressure monitoring system sensors installed in the wheels next week and then all I have to do is put in the rear monitors and reversing camera - hmmm another day though LOL

17. BANKS

BANKS DW I'm a Spray Painter!

Members Ride:
    VZ SSZ Ute
    got any photos mate?

18. vzberlinav6

vzberlinav6 Member

Members Ride:
    vz berlina v6
    ive got an avn6000 they are very good has anyone else got one of these and what do you think.

19. hingo1983

hingo1983 Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V
  20. kinga

kinga New Member

Members Ride:
    VZ Wagon
    I just put an alpine head unit in, it has the DIN connectors by default on it so it is a breeze. There is no soldering at all. It literally took less that an hour with my son climbing around the car distracting me to install.
    Northfeild have a 2 din to one din convertor pocket, costs around 45 dollars and just has a pocket below the stereo The part number they gave me is WHF102g for the VZmodel.
    HOnestly, all the research I did and I couldnt find a decent double din head unit, they all seem pretty crappy unless you step up to over 1000 to get full touch screen model.
    You can get a single din unit, with Blue tooth handsfree, front USB, IPOD input, MP3/wma capability for under 500 installed. Add the 200 or so for the steering controls and you are laughing