Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket double-din head unit options

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If you've looked at my other threads I'm thinking about replacing the faceplate on the VZ commy's radio/cd player because the 'dark tempest' paint is peeling away.

I'm thinking whether it might be better to just go for a double-din mp3 or dvd player instead. What's the cheapest that I can be expected to pay for dvd players, and cheapest on mp3 players? I'll stick to pioneer or alpine with the mp3, but dvd players i'm ok with any of the major ones.
Also I assume these will completely wreck my steering wheel controls?

84dez

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
dvd player is the way i wanna go and yes u will loose ur controls but talk to the guys at the audio shop as u can get a plug that makes them work again also shop around as i got told one price for the connector from one shop then went up the road and they had to same thing for like $200 less also if u go dvd headunit u can always buy the headrest ones as SLAVES which cost less then buying one dvd head reast and one not.

all depends on what u want as u cant watch dvds as u drive but a dvd screen or touchscreen mp3 player is the way i would go

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
if your after decent quality your looking at $600 + for either a dvd or mp3.
if you go a dvd player it will also play mp3 (most do)

but if your after cheap then look at ebay. there on there for about $500 (but you get what you pay for)

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
There are 2 clarion dvd ones under $500 at Soundmaster Car Audio & Alarms - Best prices on Car Audio, Alarms and Accessories but they are unwilling to move on price for installation otherwise I'd be up for it. They're saying for the $479 one fitted they want $680. They also want $50 for an unpainted black fascia to go on the sides, which is included in that price. No way a piece of black plastic can be worth that much, and the last time I got my deck installed, usual install price was $50-$80, not over $100.

If anyone on here is considering getting one, let's get a bulk discount.

Ryda and Lifestyle store are also at the same price, I wonder if I can get an independent installer.

Escape-The-Fate

HSV, i just want one
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS, M6
hey bud..with any aftermarket head unit..you can buy a connector that re-enables your stearing wheel controls...i was speaking to a dude at goldcoast car sound in brissy and he showed me them..they arnt cheap something in the vecinity of $150-200..but i love the steering wheel controls and would be willing to pay that

and my paint on the next button on my factory head unit is starting to peel so will be getting sound done soonish

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Thanks mate... I just wanted a fascia to go with the factory colour of the commy... was researching all night on it... have seen 2 places that do them... might not get the steering wheel controls done right now. Still tossing up just getting Phreddy's aux in done and replacing the radio button peel from a wrecker or go the full dvd unit install.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
This is what I got.

EFrontier - GPS Receivers and Bluetooth for Australia and NZ Car DVD with GPS Navigator

I heard a lot about the Caska unit on a number of different forums. I decided to buy one, am just waiting for my tyre pressure monitoring system to arrive and then I am going to spend a day or two installing everything into the Adventra. Am looking forward to seeing how it goes.
There is also an Australian distributor called Polaris and you can see the same system here:

Polaris GPS

akqrate

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
This is what I got.

EFrontier - GPS Receivers and Bluetooth for Australia and NZ Car DVD with GPS Navigator

I heard a lot about the Caska unit on a number of different forums. I decided to buy one, am just waiting for my tyre pressure monitoring system to arrive and then I am going to spend a day or two installing everything into the Adventra. Am looking forward to seeing how it goes.
There is also an Australian distributor called Polaris and you can see the same system here:

Polaris GPS

VERY INTRIGUING. Does this support divx? and steering wheel controls?

SeanVZute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute 3.6L
I got quoted $1599 for top of line alpine DVD unit. full touch screen. plays divx etc. also has Ipod and USB in which is good.

Pete_perth

Pedro
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6
VERY INTRIGUING. Does this support divx? and steering wheel controls?

I haven't had a chance to install it yet, but the users manual states that it has intelligent steering wheel control learning (will have to see if it can learn the Holden one). Again, I am not sure about the DIVX will be able to tell you more once I have the thing in the car. I know that it runs a version of WIN CE and some people have gained access to the actual WIN operating system and are running all sorts of things on it.