Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Alloytec] Aftermarket ECU for Alloytec? Variable cam timing seems to be the issue...

volcom20

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL Fairmont
Ok, now I know what you're all thinking "Alloytec aftermarket ECU? The unit in the car can be flashed!" or something along those lines.

Well, lets get to the point, I'm a ford guy, buying a Holden Gemini Panelvan. Planning on doing the V6 conversion. Now I know it's pretty straight forward with the ecotec, but it only has 130kw or something in that ball park.

The alloytec engine is much more appealing, with 180 odd kws at the flywheel. Getting it into the gemi means an after market ecu in my mind, as I dont want to try making a mess of a loom and trying to retain the factory ecu (although, this might end up being the way to go... Although I hope not...)

So, what can I do? Is there an ECU that's going to run this engine and it's variable cam timing without being overly expensive? Whatever it is I do plan on installing the ECU myself, so something with a pre-loaded tune on it for the engine would be muchly desiered. I thought I'd ask here as you guys would have the most knowlage when dealing with these engines.

Let me know, what are my options :) - Thanks, J.Coble.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
If i was you, i'd get a Ecotec from a vt (Or similar) as they have about 147flyKW. Ecotecs have MUCH more options for modifications. CAI, lifts,springs, cams, memcals, rockers, the list is pretty big. But with a alloytec you have, what, cai, manifold, exhaust?

This didnt answer your question, but i think you might wanna revise your engine selection.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
If i was you, i'd get a Ecotec from a vt (Or similar) as they have about 147flyKW. Ecotecs have MUCH more options for modifications. CAI, lifts,springs, cams, memcals, rockers, the list is pretty big. But with a alloytec you have, what, cai, manifold, exhaust?

This didnt answer your question, but i think you might wanna revise your engine selection.

the ecotec would be eaiser theres no doubt but then i dont think he's doing the conversion because its easy :D
id say you should be able to find someone who could do something for the alloytech... talk to mace as i know he is able to tune the newer alloytechs so he might be able to help you out

bloomers

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ
Have you made any progress on this. I am interested in how you are going to do the mod. I am going to do similar into an EH.