Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket gauges in a ve help!

Jono85

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hsv VE E1 Clubsport R8
Hi,
Has anyone written a guide on what is required and how to I stall aftermarket gauges? I have seen a thread talking about the oil temp but chasing names or part numbers and how to!
Probably looking at oil temp oil pressure and volts.
All for a ve commodore. I can install HSV gauges no worries just not sure if the install would be the same.
Thanks folks :)

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Hey mate I have been researching this for the past few days as well except for a L77 engine. From what I've found out all LS' have a blocked off cap above the oil filter, and that you either need to drill and tap it for a gauge sender or fit one that's already adapted to it.

Such as this:

LS1 LS2 LQ4 LQ9 LS3 LS6 PAN OIL Cooler Delete Block OFF Plate Threaded TAP | eBay

I've also read you can use a Oil Cooler adaptor plate if you have the need for more than 1 sender, which I think you will if your planning to run Oil temp and pressure.

Proflow Billet OIL Cooler Adapter LS1 LS2 LS3 L98 L76 Commodore VT VX VY VZ VE | eBay

I have to say though that I haven't tried either of these yet as I'm still researching, so hopefully someone with more experience can chime in. I hope this helps you out a bit though.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
I think you have basically two options here. HSV pod set which will connect into your loom, which you E1 should be wired up for, so just plug and play. Original pod set has its own chip board to connect with the ECU.

If you go after market you will need to put new sensors in for each gauge unless you have someone exceptional to program your car and access the available info from the ECU.

I've put the HSV set into an SSV (was fairly easy to do) and am still trying to find a local to reprogram the ECU to put out the correct info for the oil temp gauge to read.

On top of what Sur3star_dj has said, I believe there is a oil pressure sensor on the back of the LS engine which you can access and he is bang on - on the oil temp placing. JHP have a sender adapter fitting for there, not sure if they will sell it individually though. Go to JHP, then VE, Then Sports - HSV Gauges and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Last edited: