Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket head unit for VT

GIJoel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
So I'm looking to replace the stock head unit in my VT. Don't like it as it has no AUX input or iPhone connectivity, resorting to the few CD's I have isn't a fun experience since they skip whenever I pull less g than a wall and I'm not old enough to own cassettes. :rofl2:

- Top priority is that the replacement fits (doesn't overhang or wobble around, the more it looks like it's supposed to be there, the better)
- AUX and/or iPhone connectivity is a must
- Double din preferable
- My budget is pretty tight, I'd be struggling after $300
- Rewiring doesn't bother me, but preferably if I can just plug it in with an adapter

Basically I'm asking; What head unit is most suitable for my VT given my criteria?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
All headunits will fit but both single and double DIN will require an aftermarket fascia, go to WOW or similar and they will sort you out, just get something on sale that suits your needs, most headunits over $150 have the features you need.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
u could get ur original head unit fitted with an AUX input socket and a couple pairs of RCA's (front and rear) fitted if u did wanna retain the stock look? contact ASR if ur keen they do have a website in the sponsors section u could look at.

GIJoel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Hey that WOW site has pretty decent deals! Thanks for the pointer! Got my eye on this one; KENWOOD 6.1" D/DIN T/TFT SCREEN DVD/MP3/TUNER 50wX4 USB AUX IN DivX DDX4038 - WOW Sight & Sound

And yes, my budget has gone up to about $500.

wrx884, I'm not necessarily after a stock look, forgive me for misleading you, I meant I'm after a proper fit like the original, no gaps or overhang.

I'd love if people could recommend specific head units (w. or w/o fascia) that they've found fit proper?

GIJoel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Thanks for the pointer sweefu, great deals there. Do they supply fascia suitable for my car, or is it just a generic piece to suit larger openings? Also I wouldn't mind getting an adapter for the wiring.

And wrx884, I'm not really looking to reserve the stock look, I just want it to fit properly. Poor wording, my bad.

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Most, if not all places that sell car audio gear can order parts from Aerpro or Stinger (including JB HiFi, WOW Sight and Sound, Autobarn, etc) both of whom sell fascias and wiring adapters for Commodores. Basically tell them what head unit you want, and what car you have, and they should be able to hook you up.

GIJoel

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Berlina
Na I haven't got a new head unit yet, my lack of money has halted my upgrades :( haha

I wanna get a Pioneer AVH-2250 - I think that's what it was called, it's a touch screen ^.^

Sent from my ancient iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk