Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Head unit Installation in Wh Serise 2

Whstatesman92

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman Series II GenIII V8
Hi all, Is there anyway to install an aftermarket head unit in a series 2 WH statesman? It's got a woodgrain center console with annoyingly rounded edges so no single dim or double dim head unit will fit. I was wondering is there an insert you can install or a way of getting around this??

Please HELP!! I'll definitely owe you a beer :beer chug:

Reaction score
Members Ride
00' WH Stato LS1 A4
Interested in this also :)

Currently have a single din headunit and a cb radio above it, although it's not screwed in, the woodgrain is actually holding the headunit in.

Whstatesman92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh really? so the head unit wasn't to wide for the woodgrain? I was looking at it today and I think the bottom of it looks wide enough. Good to know anyhow thanks C:

M

mwb235

Hi all, Is there anyway to install an aftermarket head unit in a series 2 WH statesman? It's got a woodgrain center console with annoyingly rounded edges so no single dim or double dim head unit will fit. I was wondering is there an insert you can install or a way of getting around this??

Back in 2007 i fitted a WH surround to my VT Calais as i wanted the clock and like the look of the surround better.

I have a single-DIN Blaupunkt Bremen MP76 (and one of those Ford/Mazda pockets underneath) and faced the same problem. There actually wasn't enough room to take off the detachable face of my radio, plus it looked shocking. I had to do something. There are no aftermarket options for the WH though so i had to somehow use the factory surround. I didn't buy woodgrain as the two pieces are much dearer, so i bought a pair of silver WHII pieces instead as they are much cheaper. I also i wanted to paint them gloss black anyway to match other bits i'd fitted (i.e. painted gloss black speedo dials facia, factory WL Caprice strips at the top of the door trim inserts, and the factory centre console rear air vent surround off a V2 Monaro).

So i modded my silver WHII radio surround and carefully squared out the stupid rounded corners with a very fine file. I then built up the corners where needed, more so the bottom two corners, with an epoxy resin (Selleys Knead-It). It hard to explain, but i did this really carefully so to minimise the opening so that when looking directly at it, you couldn't see very much of the resin at the edges. I then sanded it up and had it primed then painted in 2-pac gloss black by a panel shop. It was a bit of effort on my part but i think it was worth it.

I found when fitting the two rectangular metal brackets/cages (i.e. that the radio and pocket sit in) i needed to have them stick out about an inch from the dash opening. I attached them with rivets into the dash at each side. This was so that when the radio/pocket and plastic surround was all fitted it sit flush (see pics). I am happy with the result.

Attachments

• MWB VT Calais 30-01-11 #1a.jpg
    MWB VT Calais 30-01-11 #1a.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 4,561
  • MWB VT Calais 30-01-11 #2a.jpg
    MWB VT Calais 30-01-11 #2a.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 4,851
M

mwb235

Also OP i just thought of this. If you have a woodgrain surround already and you want to modify it but still keep the woodgrain (rather than paint it) - there are places who can "re-do" the woodgrain to match. So you mod the surround to how you want it and get it all flat/sanded, then send it to them and they'll coat it in woodgrain to match your other lower surround piece.

There would be several places around that do this (and probably in Adelaide too) but one place i know of is in Melbourne...

http://www.dashboardcentre.com.au/information2.php?info_id=2

Just an idea. Good luck with it.

Whstatesman92

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks mate, Interesting story, I'll definitely see if there are any car interior shops in Adelaide that might be able to help me out. Good job on your dash, you would never have known that the corners were once rounded.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
i have an alpine double din in my VT calais. if your facia still has a 2-3mm lip around it(some do some don't), you'll need to file this down. don't be concerned about the rounded edges, the trim piece that comes with the head unit will fill that nicely.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
The plans I have for my car is to mount a touch screen where the stereo is currently which will be for the DVD player/GPS/Reverse camera and to mount the head unit either where the fold out door is underneath it or in the center console. I am also toying with the idea of mounting the head unit in the center console and a second face behind the fold out door so it is all hidden except the screen when wanted but also have a display visable when using it. I already have most the gear and have done a trial fit to see if it will work which I can say it will with a little bit of modifying.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
do a gooogle search and see what other options are out there....good luck and cheeers