Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket head unit stuck!

JDizzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 97 Executive
Hi all,

Cool site! just found it through google.

ok so i just bought my 97 vt executive yesterday very happy cant wait to put my system in but it came with an aftermarket pionneer head unit and its stuck in there !! its a single din i can pull out the underneath part and take the cover edge thing off the head unit, but trying to pry that deck out its completely stuck in there! ive tried coathangers and searched for other posts but cant seem to find a solution.

i want to put my pasasonic in it has all the outs for my 2 amps etc but cant do anything till i can wedge this out !! any ideas? tha

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
Its most probably just wedged in there as its bloody hard to get to the sides of the cage in a vt, pretty much all car audio installers do it that way.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah mate its more than likely just wedged in, get your hand in and underneath the head-unit and try to pull it out from the back of it, slowly pull with more force untill it starts to come out.

JDizzle

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 97 Executive
thanks guys

cool thx its at mechanics for full service today i was hoping that was the case ill try it when i get it back thanks for the replies guys i aprreciate it so glad i found this site

Zeussy

SSM11K
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F Clubsport, Rodeo 2.8 TD 4x4
Hey mate,
if it locks in like my old one did, you need to pry one side of it accross to free the 'tangs', then pull it forward to bring the one side out a little, and do the same on the other side, its a real pain to try and do, without breaking something!!

rpurser

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ exec Wagon
my car may be a write off and tried to get my one out today to put the stock back in, but when they installed it they've pop riveted it into its casing then that casing into the metal frame where it slots into, cant get a screwdriver or anything inthere without really breaking something, so i just had to give up