Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

aftermarket head unit

ad45

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT wagon S2
G'day all im just wondering if it is possible to put an aftermarket head unit in a vz and still be able to use the steering wheel controls, if so does anyone have a wiring diagram to do this.

any help greatly appreciated.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
Here is the dash fascia you'll need for a VZ for a single DIN head unit.

Here is the steering wheel control harness you will need, when you buy it, you need to ask for the last cable piece suitable for your head unit, eg. Pioneer, Sony, etc

You will also need to get a VZ harness that you wire upto the harness that comes with your unit.

For finding out what you need to wire where, the factory head unit gives you the PIN out info on a label on the top of unit.

You then match this up with the new head unit and then wire the harnesses together.

All of this is available from places such as JB HiFi or Autobarn.

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro
just one hint for you if you buy a premade harness, the iso pinout on on the commodores are really not iso, for some reason holden swapped ign power and battery power leads around, if you expierence memory loss on your new deck you will nedd to swap these two wires around.

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
just one hint for you if you buy a premade harness, the iso pinout on on the commodores are really not iso, for some reason holden swapped ign power and battery power leads around, if you expierence memory loss on your new deck you will nedd to swap these two wires around.

Ah yes, i forgot about that, i had the same issue too.

Small flat head screw driver to pop the pins out and change them around or make your own harness.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

Small flat head screw driver to pop the pins out and change them around or make your own harness.

but the steering wheel harness you linked should from memory be pinned properly, so no need to change anything if he gets that harness

leethal1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 Adventra LX6, HG monaro

just one of the things that that holden have done to make you shake your head - why would thay do that....

morphix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ SV6 5-Speed Auto
but the steering wheel harness you linked should from memory be pinned properly, so no need to change anything if he gets that harness

Actually, i had to change that over too, the steering wheel control harness was also wrong... i don't know if its a Aerpro thing, as the harnesses i got were both from Aerpro (Holden to ISO & Steering wheel control harness).