Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket headers/extractors vr commodore

Dj1crook

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commodore/Lexcen, 1992 Holden Nova Hatch
ok so I've heard that from factory the VRs came with headers as stock. Would changing them to aftermarket ones do much to the sound and fuel economy or would it just be pouring money down the drain. All i want to do is have it sounding nice by also slapping on a hi flow cat and improve fuel economy by helping the engine to breathe easier

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Don't know about V8 but V6 just had cast manifolds. I have Pacies and didn't really notice much economy improvement on their own, even with a 2.5" cat back. Won't need hi flow cat on V6 unless pushing decent HP.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I doubt very much that the vr came out with extractors. The effect that headers would have on fuel economy would be minimal and take many years to recoup the cost. Combined with a better exhaust a cam and a tune it might make a wee bit of difference to economy but again would take a lot longer to become cost effective. Most people myself included don't modify their cars with economy in mind. Nice if you can get it but too bad if you don't.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
VR V6 factory manifolds are pretty efficient on their own, the only need to change to extractors is if the manifolds are cracked. No real noticeable improvement in power or economy, measurable on a dyno but probably won't feel it. The only thing that really changes is noise. You will get a slight increase in torque, top end and cruising economy.