Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket sat nav for VF

jhsg

Reaction score
Hi all
Similar to a few other people here I didn't realise my ex demo vf ss didn't have navigation until I got it home. Then after a few phone calls and some research I found out factory nav was not going to happen. I even spent a sh!t load of time speaking to people about fitting the whole mylink system from a written off car. Again to find out it wasn't possible.

Then after more research I found a few different aftermarket units that integrated with the mylink. Today after 6 months I finally got one installed.

The unit I went for is the advanced ice unit. It integrates beautifully and you use the home button to switch it on and the back button to switch it back to the normal screen. It even has a nice feature where if you move the volume knob of change tracks it flashes back briefly. In addition to the integration the unit also has the best resolution I've seen in a gps unit and can be upgraded through a Sd card.

All in all it's bloody good. I've heard the nightmares other people are having but this unit is great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Does it default to SAT NAV when you power up the vehicle, or does it operate as standard prior to the installation until you press the home button? Secondly, when using the SAT NAV can you still play music and the SAT NAV speech over-rides this?

jhsg

Reaction score
No, it starts up and works as normal until you hit 'home' and then it flicks over to nav. Then when you hit back it goes goes out of the nav screen into the normal frontage.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
What about the sound? Can you still listen to the radio with the sat nav on?

jhsg

Reaction score
Yes. Sound is just like a factory unit.

Shara seaton

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf Holden commodore wagon
Hi all
Similar to a few other people here I didn't realise my ex demo vf ss didn't have navigation until I got it home. Then after a few phone calls and some research I found out factory nav was not going to happen. I even spent a sh!t load of time speaking to people about fitting the whole mylink system from a written off car. Again to find out it wasn't possible.

Then after more research I found a few different aftermarket units that integrated with the mylink. Today after 6 months I finally got one installed.

The unit I went for is the advanced ice unit. It integrates beautifully and you use the home button to switch it on and the back button to switch it back to the normal screen. It even has a nice feature where if you move the volume knob of change tracks it flashes back briefly. In addition to the integration the unit also has the best resolution I've seen in a gps unit and can be upgraded through a Sd card.

All in all it's bloody good. I've heard the nightmares other people are having but this unit is great.

Let me know if you have any questions.

I agree I love this navigation system but only one issue is finding where the SD card is so I can plug it into my laptop to install the new update so if someone could tell or guide me to finding the SD card that would be great. Thank you for your time

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I agree I love this navigation system but only one issue is finding where the SD card is so I can plug it into my laptop to install the new update so if someone could tell or guide me to finding the SD card that would be great. Thank you for your time
SD cards were only used in series 2 VE's, fitted with the IQ head unit. The Mylink store its database in ROM.

Mark Roberts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 2014
Alternative to a MyLink upgrade is to install Apple CarPlay / Android Auto. I had this done about 3 years ago and more than happy with the solution. No issues with current maps since Google Maps and Apple Maps (plus Waze and others) are constantly updated. Bonus is the other apps you can use.
I had mine installed by Naviplus in Springvale, Melbourne. I do NOT recommend them (crap attitude and service) but the system works perfectly. Costs about $1000. There are a few other installers around the country. The original MyLink system still works 100% as usual including reverse camera (automatically activated by selecting reverse as usual), etc. The original system is unchanged so no problems with VIN number compatibility.
Other aftermarket systems aren't compatible with heated seats and reverse camera curved tracking lines so this is a great alternative. MyLink still works as usual. (You can have Google Maps, Waze and MyLink Nav all running at the same time and just let 'em fight it out!) Only slight annoyance is needing to toggle to CarPlay / Android Auto every time you start up.