Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket seat questions!

Benjamien.C

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 factory Manual VU S
Hey all,
Im thinking of buying a set of aftermarket bucket seats and was confused on wether i could transfer the rails on my current seat and bolt them on the new ones or if i needed specific rails for that set of seat,
Thanks!

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I put Recaros in my Vh. As the rails were different I put a cross member under the seats and bolted the seat to the cross member and bolted the cross member to the original bolts holes. I had the bolts extend under the floor and put a large washer with a lock nut underneath. My set up was a lot stronger than the original set up. You will probably have to get them certified by an engineer. As my vh is still off the road I will likely have to do the same

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Make sure you get the right bolts. I'm not quite sure but think they will have to be at least grade 10.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition

Worth reading above, especially section LK Seating and Occupant Protection.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Talk to your insurance company before you even think about that mod.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do your homework on aftermarket seats as some of them are of poor quality. Had you given any thought to using seats from another Holden or HSV?

Benjamien.C

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 factory Manual VU S
Do your homework on aftermarket seats as some of them are of poor quality. Had you given any thought to using seats from another Holden or HSV?
would a HSV seat need rail modifications to fit or just bolt in because its a holden seat

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can't give you a definite answer but would think that VU to VZ would be the same. I doubt very much there would be any difference between HSV and Holden for the same model.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I put a cross member under the seats and bolted the seat to the cross member and bolted the cross member to the original bolts holes. I had the bolts extend under the floor and put a large washer with a lock nut underneath. My set up was a lot stronger than the original set up.

I did a similar thing with my HQ when I put HJ seats in it. High tension bolts up through the floor with 2" washers under them, then bolted to the floor with nuts, then put the seats in with washers and nuts. Made it very easy to remove and replace seats without searching through carpet and sound-proofing.
I sold it unregistered, as is, the new owner knew all the little foibles, but NSW RMS blue slip deemed that unroadworthy ......... return to original..

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@Benjamien.C just keep in mind that any modification to a seat rail, or how the rail connects to the seat, or how it bolts to the floor ALWAYS requires engineering approval.

About the only seat swap that doesn’t require engineering approval is if you have a bolt in replacement seat taken from another variant of your vehicle (model year) be it a sports or luxury seat. Sadly that means you can’t use a VZ seat in a VU vehicle without engineering approval even if it bolts in...

Ring and talk to Department of Transport and Main Roads about your plans... then talk to your insurance company...

Last edited: