Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Steering Wheel with Airbag/SRS????

TrikkBen

I'm Back :D
Reaction score
Website
www.asroilpans.com
Members Ride
BNR32
Hey guys,
I'm up for a new steering wheel, and I want to put a neat aftermarket one on, like Momo etc..
But because my car has SRS, it needs to have an airbag
Does anyone know if they are made with airbags?

Also, If they are, does it have to use the original factory airbag or can a aftermarket one be used, say if the steering wheel has one built-in?

Thanks
Ben

Veriton

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.7L VZ
They make boss kits that disable the SRS system. Dunno whether it turns the light off, one would presume it would. But you won't have an airbag there, and from what I understand it also disables the passenger airbag (if fitted). You'll also need to notify your insurance that you no longer have SRS airbags, as if you get in an accident without airbags, yet they're on your insurance policy, chances are you won't get any insurance payout.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Actually I'm pretty sure its illegal to not have an airbag in a factory airbag equipped car.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Where is here? Outside Aus?

If in Aus, then when you have an accident, your insurance won't pay, so you will be up for all costs. Also cops will bend you over your bonnet for having a illegal car. And the fact that you would compromise safety for some looks is downright stupid.

MOMO make steering wheels that are designed for airbags, but basically they look like the factory ones but upholstered differently, so I can't see how you could justify the price. But anyway its your car.

6983d1128772035-got-myself-present-new-wheel_edit.jpg

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Sorry to hijack BUT
What is that one worth? ^^^^
Any idea on how hard they are to fit?
cheers,
scotty

Easy as hell to fit, as for prices, judging by the picture give Autobarn a call, or they crop up on EBay every so often.

CommVTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S pack
Easy as hell to fit, as for prices, judging by the picture give Autobarn a call, or they crop up on EBay every so often.

Cheers mate!
Yeah doesn't look too hard, just had a look at some 'how-to' on the forum, I'll give autobarn a call too.

scotty

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Cheers mate!
Yeah doesn't look too hard, just had a look at some 'how-to' on the forum, I'll give autobarn a call too.

scotty

Just for the love of God remember to disconnect the battery for a few minutes before starting work. Nothing ruins your day like an airbag detonation 10cm from your face. Last time I worked on the steering wheel, I took the battery out the night before and took out the fuse. I realize you probably know this but it doesn't hurt to reiterate.