Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Stereo No sound?

Metzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Hi guys

I recently acquired a 1997 VS Berlina and installed an aftermarket stereo. I used the aerpro wiring harness and everything seemed to work perfectly. The stereo powers on correctly, the antenna works, and picks up channels. However, I can't get any audio. This includes using the AUX cord too.

Has anyone else had this problem, and did you find a solution?

Parts used:

PIONEER TO ISO HARNESS ADAPTER 16 PIN (APP8PIO5)

Aerpro APP061 Primary ISO Harness Suit Holden Commodore VR-VS

Pioneer MVH-S105UI Single-Din USB/AUX-In/iPhone/Android Car Stereo Player(NO CD)
46523967_198258874435844_7594795003138801664_n.jpg

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Does it have factory or aftermarket speakers? What headunit was in it originally? It might be the previous owner had an amp etc and took it when they sold it.

Metzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Does it have factory or aftermarket speakers? What headunit was in it originally? It might be the previous owner had an amp etc and took it when they sold it.

It has stock speakers, and the head unit was the stock Eurovox model. The battery was unplugged when removing the old headunit and installing the new one, and the speakers worked perfectly before. Not too sure what is going on...

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
It has stock speakers, and the head unit was the stock Eurovox model. The battery was unplugged when removing the old headunit and installing the new one, and the speakers worked perfectly before. Not too sure what is going on...
you could bench test it.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Well from what you've described it was a straight plug and play set up as you didn't have any soldering of wiring connections to be done.

With that being the case it will only be some setting within the Pioneer Source unit itself which will have the sound muted.

I'm assuming that the previous Eurovox factory fit radio cassette worked perfectly sound wise ?

One last question, can you vouch 100% that the Pioneer unit is good as you might have to undo all your hard work and as previously suggested bench test it using the normal plug in harness that came with it that has just pigtail ends to hard wire to.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers.

Metzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Thanks for the great feedback guys!
Bench test sounds like a good idea! I will need a spare speaker for that won't I?

I'll see what I can do :)

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Make sure you have at least two speakers connected to the "Front" connections otherwise you could blow the output stages of the of the amplifier section of the source unit.
I'm starting to wonder if this is the actual problem with the unit in the first instance.

What is the history behind this unit ? second hand purchase etc. ????

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Did you try increasing the volume?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Did you try increasing the volume?

I know that can sound dumb, but it's reality that sometimes we can't see the Forrest for the trees.

Metzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Well from what you've described it was a straight plug and play set up as you didn't have any soldering of wiring connections to be done.

With that being the case it will only be some setting within the Pioneer Source unit itself which will have the sound muted.

I'm assuming that the previous Eurovox factory fit radio cassette worked perfectly sound wise ?

One last question, can you vouch 100% that the Pioneer unit is good as you might have to undo all your hard work and as previously suggested bench test it using the normal plug in harness that came with it that has just pigtail ends to hard wire to.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers.
I bought all the parts brand new. Got the Headunit of Ebay so could have been a dodgy seller or maybe damaged in transit, I don't know haha.

I reckon its likely that the headunit is dodgy. Can't see anything wrong with the Aerpro plug and play kit.