Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Aftermarket Temp gauge

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi,
I'm considering getting a cheap aftermarket temp gauge as i dont really trust the one on it, so 2 questions, where can i mount it?? im right on the wiring side of things but im guessing it will use the original factory gauge sender location, but will it come with the correct fitting or will i have to get some sort of thread converter fitting??

Cheers

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
i don't see what is wrong with the gauge on the dash. i am sure i am will get told i am wrong but i find mine really reliable. never had any trouble at all. also ya wouldn't use the sender that is there now. ya would use one suited to the new gauge. if you are going to put a new gauge in your car i wouldn't go buying a cheap one as it may not be as good as the one on the dash..

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
i don't see what is wrong with the gauge on the dash. i am sure i am will get told i am wrong but i find mine really reliable. never had any trouble at all. also ya wouldn't use the sender that is there now. ya would use one suited to the new gauge. if you are going to put a new gauge in your car i wouldn't go buying a cheap one as it may not be as good as the one on the dash..

The factory one is ok, but mine along with all the others are sticky, The reason for an aftermarket one is that is gives an actual reading and I dont have to keep smackin it. If i can get one cheap enough I might see what I can do and post it up for ya's.

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
my temp gauge is good. just the fuel gauge shits me.. i would still be buying a good one not a cheap one. but i do see your point now though..

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just went out and checked prices for a gauge today, around $40-60 for a good electrical one, only like $25 for a mechanical but i dont want to run a mechanical. Might just have to wait around for a sale. I'm doin a thermostat today becuase I think thats also causing low temperature readings

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
Yea the mechanical gauges are more of a headache than anything.

anton1o

[GMHVN6]
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN 6 Berlina '90
Im getting my auto-meter watertemp in this weekend, I tell all my freinds to get a seperate gauge for water/oil etc.. I dont trust the dash as far as i can throw it :)

I want real number readings not lines.