Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

aftermarket temp guage into vn

petroleum

Reaction score
Members Ride
'89 VN Commodore
Hi,

I have an aftermarket water temp guage in my vn which was already in it when i bought it... i checked where it was wired to and it is joined to the wire from the engine temp sensor just next to the thermostat (series 1 motor) anyways so the sender was trying to send a signal to both guages so the guages barely moved anyway i cut the aftermarket guage wire and now my temp guage on the cluster is working fine. But i would still like to have the aftermarket guage working aswell (it changes colour n stuff so its cool) now i was thinking... i read in the gregorys workshop manual there is a coolant temp sender just below the engine temp one... so if i unplugged that and wired the aftermarket guage to it would it stuff up my computer?

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
Yep it would. The second temp sensor is the one which runs to the computer. Unplug that and your computer won't know what temp the engine is at.

You're probably better off either picking one temp gauge or the other. Failing that, if you really need to see your temperature twice on the dash you should be able to pick up a t-piece adaptor that will screw in to the hole that the GAUGE temperature sender sits in, then you can screw the sensor for the cluster gauge into that, and (into the other hole on the adaptor) you should be able to screw another sensor for the aftermarket gauge.

But ask yourself, do you really need to see the water temp twice?

petroleum

Reaction score
Members Ride
'89 VN Commodore
yeah true... oh well might aswell just use the aftermarket one