Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air bag light on

heavyeng

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 vx spac commodore
Hi all
Recently purchased a 2001 vx spac.
The SRS alarms and illuminates upon start up.
Had a mechanic check for alarms however no alarms active and no history.
Maechanic talked about perhaps SRS module not talking to computer.
Any thoughts on where i go from here? Should i change the SRS moudule.
Thanks

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I would try another mechanic, maybe his scan tool was not compatible.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
As above, try a different mechanic, or preferably am auto electrician.
The module is making it's self knowen that it's not happy.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Ahh. Bip bip bip, bip bip bip, bip bip bip greetings to you. Super common with Commodores of this age. See the pic above my user name on the left? That's a sticker I sell on ebay. I designed it and had it printed after the 3rd or 4th Commodore I bought with the light on. It is relatively popular. PM me your address and I'll send you a couple for free if you like. The cause is usually your clock spring. Not difficult to obtain or change. Unless you are flat broke, go for a new one, because a second hand one is possibly on its last legs as well.
I know you didn't cause the light to come/stay on, but in order to avoid it coming back in the future, always disconnect your battery before doing any work on anything even remotely associated with the SRS system, like the steering wheel and one that takes people by surprise - your seat. Not sure if spacs have passenger side air bags as well, but if they do, this goes for the passenger seat as well. Under your seat there's a few cables that plug in to things like the thing that makes your seat go up and down and your seatbelt plug and seat itself if you have side airbags (not sure? Look for "SRS" on the passenger side dash and the outside of your B pillars. On the dash means passenger side airbag, on the pillars means side airbags.) The seatbelt plug and seat are connected to the airbag system, because everything goes off at once - your front airbag, side airbag and the little explody thing in the seatbelt plug that pulls your seatbelt tight so you don't whack your head quite so hard. Knock one of these cables loose and you'll get the light again, and unlike some other makes of cars, there's no magic "put the car in neutral and turn the steering wheel exactly 42 degrees and turn the key to accessories, all while singing I'm a little teapot and the light will reset" thing, you need to get it reset by someone with the right tool. A Tech II or the tool Envyous Customs sells will do that for you, but it won't stay off if you don't identify and fix the underlying issue.