Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air bag light staying on. help?

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
Hey all, got in my car after work 2day and out of the blue the air bag light comes on, so i took it straight to my local holden in hope that sum1 would have a quick look at it but they said they cant have a look until tuesday. I kinda want an answer before then.
Has any1 had this happen before? n how can it be fixed? or is taking it to holden my only option? Cheers

danteo55

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 VX2 SS 5.7
hiya dude..mine came on not long ago..and trust me holden are your best bet..they checked for fault codes.but nothing showed up.they cleared it.and been sweet ever since...could be a number of things..so holden the best place i think..good luck.let us know what happens.

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
The SRS warning lamp will illuminate when :

The ignition is switched ON, the SRS warning lamp will be illuminated for approximately 5 seconds to indicate the system start-up sequence. During this period the SDM performs a system wiring and self check. If no system faults are detected, the SRS warning lamp will be switched OFF.
If communication is lost between the SDM and the instruments (for example SDM wiring harness YB190 disconnected or no BCM poll) the SRS warning lamp will be illuminated when the ignition is first switched ON, it will then be turned OFF for approximately 2 seconds and then commanded ON constantly until the fault is remedied (communication resumed) (No DTC will be set).
If battery voltage is below 9 volts or above 20 volts the SRS warning lamp will be illuminated and remain illuminated until the problem is resolved (No DTC will be set).
If the SRS is deployed, the SRS warning lamp will be illuminated until the problem is resolved (No DTC will be set).
If one or more current or history Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) are detected when the ignition is switched ON, the SRS warning lamp will illuminate and remain illuminated until the DTC is cleared. Additionally, 3 seconds after the ignition is switched ON, an audible warning chime will sound.
During an ignition cycle, if the SDM detects a current DTC, the SRS warning lamp will be illuminated. If during this cycle, the current DTC fault condition clears, a history DTC will be logged in the SDM and the SRS warning lamp will still remain illuminated.
When TECH 2 is communicating with the SDM, the SRS warning lamp will be illuminated and the SRS will be disabled.

You asked, you recieved!

You can check the DTC codes yourself, or you can wait for Holden to check them with a Tech 2! Your choice. But there is details on how to do it yourself too. Check the How To section for checking error codes.

daz08

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY11 V6 Calais SII
Cheers mate, will check it out after nba finishes :D

alien

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY Supercharged 3.8L
Oh yea, forgot to mention, if it happens to be the case that the error codes have to be removed, only someone with a Tech 2 can do that!

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
id guess its probly a pretensioner short..

apparently pretty common issue.. i had the problem and got it removed with a scan tool

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
id guess its probly a pretensioner short..

apparently pretty common issue.. i had the problem and got it removed with a scan tool

same problem with mine, just took out the globe.

charged-spack

Reaction score
does that mean if you get in2 and accident the air bags wont deploy?

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
from what i was told it will still work fine...

but i chose to fix it instead... plus the stupid warning beep pi**ed me off lol