Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Bag Light Stays On

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
Hey.

The airbag light stays on for a while when I first start the engine in my 2000 VX S Pack Manual Commodore. I have taken it to a mechanic and he scanned it with the tool, and no errors appeared. He reckons I might need to replace the airbag module. The light doesn't come on when you turn the car off and then back on like 10 mins later. (eg turn car off, go into shops, come back start the engine and it's not there.) Could that be the reason he didn't pick up any errors?

I've read up about them and they are not cheap.

Just wondering if it's worth taking to Holden to see what they can do and whether they can help me.

Cheers,
Chris.

ikon5643

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.0 L
is your drivers seat in good nick??? My VT light came on once and it ended up being from a sensor in the seat

fitz_vt

Pass Me A Wrench.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore SII Olympic Edition
there is some sort of fault i had a friend with this problem they took it to holden and they replaced a wire, i think it was a common fault or something as it was free. but many will charge.

VS_Wagon_Baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen 3 VT2 Berlina wagon
I had the problem of the light staying on on the dash. Turns out it was the clock spring snapped in the steering column (very common over time). Cost nearly $400 to get fixed because they have to remove the airbag to fix it, and scan the computer for the fault.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I had the problem of the light staying on on the dash. Turns out it was the clock spring snapped in the steering column (very common over time). Cost nearly $400 to get fixed because they have to remove the airbag to fix it, and scan the computer for the fault.
A bit expensive, 4 screws and a connector and the airbag is removed, a 5 minute job at most.

chrism182

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS 6.0 ltr M6
So what do you recommend? Take it into Holden to source the problem and then when the problem is identified, buy the part number and take it to the local mechanic? Might turn out a bit cheaper.

VS_Wagon_Baby

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen 3 VT2 Berlina wagon
A bit expensive, 4 screws and a connector and the airbag is removed, a 5 minute job at most.

Yeah, but i think it had something to do with having to be very careful removing it because it could deploy if you're not careful.

-sbxu6-

-=SBXU6=-
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XU6 S2
that light is for ur air bag plus seat belt pre tensioner, mine does it aswell, i was told to get a new seat belt pre tensioner as they can set them selves of after time causing this problem