Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air bag replacement SS driver seat Please assist

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Hi everyone, I bought a stat write off with a side impact and the airbag whilst seems not to have been deployed show the stitching torn and the airbag (somewhat) neatly tucked inside. What is the procedure for having the airbag replaced or checked at least?

Attachments

• D08BED18-5735-4B76-94EE-85FCC474F5C2.jpeg
    D08BED18-5735-4B76-94EE-85FCC474F5C2.jpeg
    68.6 KB · Views: 141
  • 3F939B90-EF59-4BB5-A45E-ED47CEEF4BC1.jpeg
    3F939B90-EF59-4BB5-A45E-ED47CEEF4BC1.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 118

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Doubt there's anything wrong with it. This is super common on all older cars with bolstered seating where the material wears out and gives from the constant getting in and out. If it hasn't been deployed and it's not causing an error to appear I'd wager it's about as good as any of the other airbags in the car.

Although, if it's a stat write off why would you want to get it checked anyway? Basically you'd have t get the entire running car to whoever was checking it and and even then they'd probably just plug in a Tech2 to check codes.

Last edited:

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I thought only repairable write offs could be registered, not stat write offs.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I can see this thread degenerating into another mass debate about what is, or isn’t, a writeoff.
My uninformed opinion about what little is known from the OP, the seat doesn’t look like normal wear and tear to me, it looks like the airbag has been deployed, cleaned up, and then folded back into place.

The question was … “What is the procedure for having the airbag replaced or checked at least?”

My first asking places would be the RMS in King Street ( or local RMS) and any number of Newcastle car upholstery repairers ( eg http://www.nelloupholstery.com.au/) to get a first hand opinion from some-one who can view the seat in person.

Stars-VZ-SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ SS CREWMAN
Thanks for your replies and as Figjam states I am trying to find back ground procedure for the seat airbag replacement. I have an upholstery place that I am awaiting their return to work after the break. The Warning in the car is that there in an airbag fault (suggest had deployed) just that the way it is neatly in there I wondered. The Background is that I bought the stat write off as it is the same as my treasured crewman & I want all the spares Engine , drive train and all the computer modules etc. The SS seats are a great seat and was looking to repair and sell if not refit to my vehicle or keep as a spare. My own seat has a small tear that I will be fixing. Still wondering if anyone has experience with the side airbag replacement though.