Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air bleed once again

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
Heaps of different opinions on this topic I'm keen on the upside down bottle into the radiator
But once you start to fill up and get the air out with the bleed screw open
When do you take the bottle away or cap back on do you let the water in the bottle bubble away as the thermostat opens nd closes a few times or when it wont take any more coolant
Also is there any thing different I need to do as I've by passed the heater core
Cheers

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Turn the heater on full start your engine with cap off and upside down bottle with electrical tape to keep it snug, block overfill hose by clamping it, crack bleeder valve and keep coolant above the valve, once all the air is out and you have a steady stream then close valve your done.

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
Turn the heater on full start your engine with cap off and upside down bottle with electrical tape to keep it snug, block overfill hose by clamping it, crack bleeder valve and keep coolant above the valve, once all the air is out and you have a steady stream then close valve your done.
I've bypassed the heater core ?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Did you loop the heater hose back onto the pump? The heater tap acts like a bypass valve so when the heater is off the hot coolant circulates straight back into the waterpump and this helps to keep the coolant moving through the block when the thermostat is closed.

Schwarz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2000
Did you loop the heater hose back onto the pump? The heater tap acts like a bypass valve so when the heater is off the hot coolant circulates straight back into the waterpump and this helps to keep the coolant moving through the block when the thermostat is closed.
I bypassed it off the water tap I put u u bend pipe on it

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Perfect, with the heater tap in place it'll work as intended. You could loop it at the motor to make it look tidier but it'll work fine as is.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Well, the Holden EFI V8 water tap is either on or off. If it's off, there is no circulation of coolant back to the water pump.

Interesting that the V6 seems to be so different. Gen III V8 might also be different.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The V6's use a heater tap like this,
s-l300.jpg

So the heater tap valve is basically just a diverter gate rather than an on/off valve.