Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Box & Ducting

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
i was just looking at an engines air box and ducting and thaught one they are black so absorb heat so what would happen if you wrapped it all up in a specially designed material to deflect heat.(i have access to this stuff)
so now the point of this is as the air would be cooler and cars like cool air you would get better performance and better fuel economy so once i do this and see what it looks like as in good bad ok or just plain stupid i could make some cash on the side by installing it for ppl out there no matter what car they have but looks really easy to do on the commodore as everything seems exposed and easy to get to i'll post some pics of before and after once i have done it might be a week away as i have to get the gear from work to do it

i'll keep you posted on how this idea goes.

N

natsvr

Sounds pretty interesting mate, make sure u keep us informed.

Cashy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S Raven Mica
I think I know the stuff your talking about. It has a foil layer on the top side, and black foam with a sticky back on the other. My father use to use it on the engine bay of his kenworth. Also good for blocking sound.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
QUOTE (Cashy @ Apr 16 2004, 10:56 PM) I think I know the stuff your talking about. It has a foil layer on the top side, and black foam with a sticky back on the other. My father use to use it on the engine bay of his kenworth. Also good for blocking sound.
thats the stuff but not sticky on the back

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
yeah i know the stuff you are talking about jafo i think it would work.....but im not sure about any power increases though..it would also make the engine bay look a bit better

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
Sounds very interesting.... a good concept spose it would work dont see why not, but wouldnt it perish pretty quickly?

scozz

Reaction score
QUOTE (Gobbles @ Apr 17 2004, 12:41 AM) .....but im not sure about any power increases though..it would also make the engine bay look a bit better
I'd question if it would make the engine bay look better. Why go to the trouble for very little increase? Trying to picture what it would look like - all I can see is 'too busy' - cheap and nasty lookin'. Give it a go anyway, I'd be very interested in seeing the outcome.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
if i only keeps the temp down of the air it should only increase a little bit.... little increase for nothing is still good i guess

B

boss

Dark colours only draw heat from direct sunlight.... Make sure your not just insulating the heat inside the air box. Just a thought.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
Last edited: