Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air box mods-please respond to my question

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
i am curious about the air box mods people are doing i.e. 2 hole mod and whatnot :)

why do people run 2 tubes from the air box to the back of the headlight? i dont understand how cold air is supposed to reach that area

and why dont people just run a hose from the original hole(where the "restrictive" intake tube was) down to the bottom of the engine bay as close to the ground as possible since hot air rises allowing the bottom of the car to have the coldest air. ??? please explain because im a bit confused

LightningVP

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 5.7 SV8
They put to holes to allow more air to get into the box, most people do send one of those holes down under the car.

Not sure if this is correct (so if someone can clarify it for me), but I believe if you put the pipes too low, or too close to outside the car they will pick up water when it rains... (but as I said, not 100% sure if this is a bad thing)

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
They put to holes to allow more air to get into the box, most people do send one of those holes down under the car.

Not sure if this is correct (so if someone can clarify it for me), but I believe if you put the pipes too low, or too close to outside the car they will pick up water when it rains... (but as I said, not 100% sure if this is a bad thing)

thanx for the input
but wouldnt hot air be trapped behind the headlights?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
i am curious about the air box mods people are doing i.e. 2 hole mod and whatnot :)

why do people run 2 tubes from the air box to the back of the headlight? i dont understand how cold air is supposed to reach that area

and why dont people just run a hose from the original hole(where the "restrictive" intake tube was) down to the bottom of the engine bay as close to the ground as possible since hot air rises allowing the bottom of the car to have the coldest air. ??? please explain because im a bit confused

I'm not a fan of the two-hole-mod. I don't think it works.

Are you thinking about something like mine?

cai2.jpg

cai1.jpg

For the record, that cable tie is long gone, and there's a mesh over the bumper cutout to stop bugs and leaves getting in and making a mess of my filter.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
thanx for the input
but wouldnt hot air be trapped behind the headlights?

Yes, it still gets bloody hot in there. The advantage being that the air is cleaner than air drawn from directly outside the car. So you change your filter less often.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
good idea, but dont go doing any river crossings,or drive into a big puddle

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
good idea, but dont go doing any river crossings,or drive into a big puddle

I've had to drive through flooded roads twice in QLD with that setup, actually. Just pull over, unclip the airbox top, and sit it to the side of the airbox base with the filter still in the top half :) Couldn't be easier.

But ofc if you don't think of that first, you're right - you'll stall, and then have to get yourself quite wet :p

adz_vy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Spac l67
I'm not a fan of the two-hole-mod. I don't think it works.

Are you thinking about something like mine?

For the record, that cable tie is long gone, and there's a mesh over the bumper cutout to stop bugs and leaves getting in and making a mess of my filter.

thats exactly what i had in mind :D
any improvement?

i wonder why holden made the intakes so impractical...

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Great improvement. Especially on hot days.

Holden did what they did, because it was cheap, and it's a family sedan so nobody cared. It was functional, and that's about as far as they took it :p

the_random_hero

Reaction score
Members Ride
A Toyota?
There are pieces of tube you can buy that will separate if there's any vacuum in the intake tract prior to the throttlebody (such as you sucking up a heap of water or getting something big caught).