Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Compressor & Air Tool Recommendations

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
Hi All,

I seem to be doing more and more work on my car as well as other family members cars, and I am looking at getting an air compressor and some air tools, mainly being a rattle gun. I'm after something that is good quality for the home mechanic, but also has enough capacity to run the rattle gun for undoing wheels and the like.

What brands should I be looking at for the compressor and rattle gun? What sort of capacities, in tank size and horsepower would be suitable? Any information, prices etc would be most appreciated.

Cheers

Harvs82

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
well an impact gun needs 90-100 psi to operate properly, they also use alot of air, i dont know what size tank you will need but i would definately recommend atleast a 3hp engine or an electric motor.
if its mainly wheel nuts your undoing/ tightening have you looked at an 18 volt cordless rattle gun??? they are only a couple hundred bucks and do the same job as an air powered one and you can take it anywhere aslong as its charged

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
well an impact gun needs 90-100 psi to operate properly, they also use alot of air, i dont know what size tank you will need but i would definately recommend atleast a 3hp engine or an electric motor.
if its mainly wheel nuts your undoing/ tightening have you looked at an 18 volt cordless rattle gun??? they are only a couple hundred bucks and do the same job as an air powered one and you can take it anywhere aslong as its charged

Are you meaning something like this:
http://www.hitachi-powertools.com.au/ProductDetails.asp?Product=WR18DMR
or something else?

It will be mainly for undoing wheel nuts, but if I go down this route, I wouldn't mind having a small compressor too, just for another jobs.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
that exactly what i had in mind:thumbsup: most things now you will find you can get in electric tools and air tools, pretty much the only thing you wont get thats electric is a die grinder or power hack saw.
just depends on what you can find for a good price cos some power tools are pretty expensive and air tools can be relatively cheap. its just the compressor thats alot.... have you ahd a look in a repco or motor traders catalogue??? they often ahve decent air compressors and tools for sale at a good price

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
that exactly what i had in mind:thumbsup: most things now you will find you can get in electric tools and air tools, pretty much the only thing you wont get thats electric is a die grinder or power hack saw.
just depends on what you can find for a good price cos some power tools are pretty expensive and air tools can be relatively cheap. its just the compressor thats alot.... have you ahd a look in a repco or motor traders catalogue??? they often ahve decent air compressors and tools for sale at a good price

I just looked up that 18V Hitachi, best price I could find was $630! :eek:

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
nah go to a retailer and you will get it much cheaper than that... we got a ryobi 18v for $290 for our roadside assistance ute at work. hitachi are good but are way over priced...there are products that are just as good for atleast half the price floating round you just need it to pop up and smack u in the face to find it:thumbsup: if all else fails then try EvilBAY they have stuff liek that all the time

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
nah go to a retailer and you will get it much cheaper than that... we got a ryobi 18v for $290 for our roadside assistance ute at work. hitachi are good but are way over priced...there are products that are just as good for atleast half the price floating round you just need it to pop up and smack u in the face to find it:thumbsup: if all else fails then try EvilBAY they have stuff liek that all the time

Cheers for the tip, will do a bit more digging around and see what I can come up with.

matty88

LPG Installer :p
Reaction score
Members Ride
TEXXXY: Resprayed TX3 Non Turbo
Also make sure you buy quality air attachments, I just had my el cheapo rattle (impact) gun lock up on me, and as far as I know I can't open it up (it's sealed) and I forgot where I bought it, so keep that in mind.

geardys

GEARDY
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 v8 ute 5sp
Go for a good belt drive compressor. like a 12-20 cfm with an adj regulator and try to get a water filter system on it. not only will it help with keeping ur air tools in top condition, but it will also helps heaps if u won't to do some spray painting.
also get some extra hose and wined it around the compressor in a circle then go into the water filter system & adj regulator.

this will help to cool down the air in the pipes and u should be able to get a little more water out of the compressed air..

Don't go for direct drive one (i think they use a worm type gear arrangment). they may be cheep but don't last as long and cost more to fix...

if ur after a good 'rattle' gun. value for money u can't go past SP air guns.
if u have a little more money, above $300+ try a sidcrome or JBS
if u won't the top of the range go for Snap on or ingersoll rand.

for the compressor u can't go past ingersoll rand, or if ur on a buget try Scorpion Air Compressor. The rand is what i have allways used. they are hard to kill.

sp air also do a good value for money air wrachet.

don't forget that u'll need some impact sockets, unless u like replacing normal chrome ones.

if u have some contacts u can get all that for well under a grand and it should last u for yrs.