Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Compressors - What do i need to know before i buy

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Haven't GMC gone bust? My first air compressor was a $99 GMC special....and thanks to their 12 month replacement warranty I ended up with 3 small air compressors, and then they sent me a bigger petrol one (worth $600) coz they got sick of all my compressors shitting themselves. First was a gasket leaking, they sent out a new one and I gave my old one to my bro who made a new gasket and is still using it 2day a few years l8r. 2nd time was an electrical fault so then send another one, 3rd one was a leaking pipe, they sent me the petrol one, and I used the pipe off the 2nd compressor to fix the 3rd and I still use it out the back. But it was to small, and I don't like using the petrol one to often so when and bought an SRT one for about $400 with a heap of air tools with it. Haven't really tested it out tho but it runs a lot quieter and seems to be better!

DSCF4047640x480.jpg

That SRT one looks preety decent especially for the price. Anyone got any recommendations of places to to get this stuff?

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Haven't GMC gone bust? My first air compressor was a $99 GMC special....and thanks to their 12 month replacement warranty I ended up with 3 small air compressors, and then they sent me a bigger petrol one (worth $600) coz they got sick of all my compressors shitting themselves. First was a gasket leaking, they sent out a new one and I gave my old one to my bro who made a new gasket and is still using it 2day a few years l8r. 2nd time was an electrical fault so then send another one, 3rd one was a leaking pipe, they sent me the petrol one, and I used the pipe off the 2nd compressor to fix the 3rd and I still use it out the back. But it was to small, and I don't like using the petrol one to often so when and bought an SRT one for about $400 with a heap of air tools with it. Haven't really tested it out tho but it runs a lot quieter and seems to be better!

DSCF4047640x480.jpg

I see your air-compressor, and raise you MINE. :yeah:

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
like has been siad, the bigger the better.
i chucked in 260 with my 800 tools for trade allowance and bought a 12cfm peerless. i bought peerless because it is a good reliable brand.
i run a rattle gun and a air ratchet no probs.
havent had to do a spray job since getting it(hopefully soon on my project).
a mate of mine bought a $300 cheapy brand 10 cfm not long ago, dont know what brand. i know it doesnt keep up while spraying but when we do spray jobs we tend to too much of a car at once. we paint speedway cars for a mate and there overspray isnt a problem so the only time we stop spraying is to top the gun up. so if you are only intending to paint small jobs ie one panel at a time a 10 cfm should be ok. i would recommend to get a quality brand because big tools should be a once off expense.
cheer shane

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
hmm ill get a pic of the air compressor at work, its a gooden,

my one at home is a p.o.s arlec enforcer that i pinched off dad, only really usefull pumping up tyres, my rattle gun sucks it dry literally, but i have a big rattle gun

Rossbx

Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 VS Commodore Equipe Sedan
Haven't GMC gone bust?

Yep, GMC have gone bust, :rip: so you won't be able to buy one of those. Bad part of that is that anyon who has any GMC tools (air or electric) has lost any warranty. If the tool breaks down then you will just have to chuck it in the bin. Bearer of good news arn't I? :whistling

Check out what Glenfords have in the way of compressors. Talk to the staff there and they should be able to point you in the right direction...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
gmc here was so cheap i wouldnt care at throwing it in the bin.i used to buy gmc tools for one job and charge them to the job and if they died after that well so be it throw it and get another.good thing was the angle grinders and stuff came with spare brushes for the engine

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
a mate of mine bought a $300 cheapy brand 10 cfm not long ago, dont know what brand. i know it doesnt keep up while spraying but when we do spray jobs we tend to too much of a car at once.

My VK had a full respray (come out wicked!), was done with my $99 GMC compressor....didn't go to bad either lol.

Altho there is a few small marks in the paint which my mate rekons is from the compressor running out of air, but not 100% sure on that tho coz it was only his 3rd paintjob so he hasn't come across the problem b4.

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Peerless is crap now. We used to sell them at work years ago but after they moved their manuafcturing to china we got heaps of warranty claims.

I have been selling compressors etc for about 12yrs and can I recommend buying a 14-15cfm. This is the largest that will run on single phase power reliably.

There is some cheaper units out there that have ratings of 19cfm on single phase power but they have the same size pump just running faster, so the pump doesn't last as long.

In my experience around $800 will get you a decent 15cfm compressor.

Best brands are Swan, ABAC (which is now McMillan) or Pilot.

I have a 14.8CFM ABAC at home & it runs virtually everything from rattle guns to spray guns, die grinders etc.

Incidently the ratings changed about 5 yrs ago, so an old 17cfm compressor has the same rating as a new 15cfm. (approx)