Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Compressors - What do i need to know before i buy

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Peerless is crap now. We used to sell them at work years ago but after they moved their manuafcturing to china we got heaps of warranty claims.

I have been selling compressors etc for about 12yrs and can I recommend buying a 14-15cfm. This is the largest that will run on single phase power reliably.

There is some cheaper units out there that have ratings of 19cfm on single phase power but they have the same size pump just running faster, so the pump doesn't last as long.

In my experience around $800 will get you a decent 15cfm compressor.

Best brands are Swan, ABAC (which is now McMillan) or Pilot.

I have a 14.8CFM ABAC at home & it runs virtually everything from rattle guns to spray guns, die grinders etc.

Incidently the ratings changed about 5 yrs ago, so an old 17cfm compressor has the same rating as a new 15cfm. (approx)

Great info there. I went and had a look at the McMillan range today that is what they recommended as well but they wanted around $1400 for something that does 14cfm and i dont really want to spend that... who stocks ABAC? i might have a look on ebay and see if i can find something decent.

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
Great info there. I went and had a look at the McMillan range today that is what they recommended as well but they wanted around $1400 for something that does 14cfm and i dont really want to spend that... who stocks ABAC? i might have a look on ebay and see if i can find something decent.

McMillan formally was known as ABAC. 14cfm shouldn't be any more than $900.

These are electric units I am talking about though, $1400 sounds about right for a Petrol 14cfm compressor with a honda motor.

I can do a Pilot 14CFM compressor, with a 3hp motor & 58ltr tank for $900 inc GST.

That is ready to go fitted with a filter regulator.

Only problem is that I am located in Griffith NSW about 600km inland from Sydney. I could get it freighted to a depot for around the $80 mark.

Sorry just realised you are in Victoria, can get it to Melbourne for around the same money.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
Mayb a bit of a silly question but if i wanted 2 learn some spray prainting on some car panels would gettin a hold of 3-4 of those cheapy compressors and hookin them all up 2 1 line, then puttin in a line regulator after the joining connection from all compressors would that give me the same effect like a $900+ compessor would??

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Mayb a bit of a silly question but if i wanted 2 learn some spray prainting on some car panels would gettin a hold of 3-4 of those cheapy compressors and hookin them all up 2 1 line, then puttin in a line regulator after the joining connection from all compressors would that give me the same effect like a $900+ compessor would??

yes, the bigger cfm of a good compressor is what is required. volume of air rather than the pressure of the air is important, i only use around 50-60 psi when i am spraying. a cheapy will do the job but slowly as you need to stop/start spraying.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
can you use a low pressure gun with one of these compressors ? I had a beaver air compressor that was about the size of a soccer ball and ran a low pressure spray gun with 2 pak continuously !!.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
yes, the bigger cfm of a good compressor is what is required. volume of air rather than the pressure of the air is important, i only use around 50-60 psi when i am spraying. a cheapy will do the job but slowly as you need to stop/start spraying.

Well thats the thing the cheapies rnt good enough 4 spraying alone but if i hooked up 3-4 to 1 line wouldnt that in theory give u better CFM and bigger tank storage 4 air? or am i just talkin ****?? lol

Im just trying find a cheap way of spraying since we have like 6 of the cheapies sittin at work i think they r like 20-30ltr tanks, 2hp with mayb 8 CFM, they r just used 4 onsite work using staple guns ect... just light work.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yeah hook en all together will work probably only need 2.3 at the max should be heaps and a 2 into 1 hose made using a brass t peice screw the regulator on the spraygun inlet is the best way for spraying too you get less fluctuation in pressure from first pulling the trigger to a few seconds later will just be a constant flow.

Phantom VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Commodore
yeah hook en all together will work probably only need 2.3 at the max should be heaps and a 2 into 1 hose made using a brass t peice screw the regulator on the spraygun inlet is the best way for spraying too you get less fluctuation in pressure from first pulling the trigger to a few seconds later will just be a constant flow.

yeah it will work, take up a heap of room though.

Best way is to hook all the compressors into 1 regulator & then take your outlet hose off that. This way the regulator will keep costant pressure without spikes & dips that will ruin your finish.

can you use a low pressure gun with one of these compressors ? I had a beaver air compressor that was about the size of a soccer ball and ran a low pressure spray gun with 2 pak continuously !!.

Yep you can, with a decent filter/regulator you can take your outlet pressure right down to 10psi or so. Also it will take all the contaminents out of the air for a better job. You should never spraypaint without a filter/regulator.

When we set up compressors to sell we fit a filter/reg to all of them.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride

yeah it will work, take up a heap of room though.

Best way is to hook all the compressors into 1 regulator & then take your outlet hose off that. This way the regulator will keep costant pressure without spikes & dips that will ruin your finish.

Awsome thats wat i wanted 2 hear even better if i only need 2-3 at the most. the way u guys have explained 2 have it hooked up is how i had it in my head i mustnt have said it right b4 haha. Ive been told as uve said its best 2 have a regulator on the spray gun aswell as on the lines so i'll make sure i get a gun with that 2.

They wouldnt take up much room really i can have them sitting where eva and away from each other but not 2 far i dont wanna drop 2 much pressure over the lines. best of all i wont have 2 spend a cent on the compressors as they r all works cheapies. cheers :thumbsup: