Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air con and blower problems

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1 (vz monaro themed)
hey all,

first up my blower only works on settings 3 and 4 (not 1 and 2) any ideas how to fix this?

and my air con isnt working. im gettin power to the fuses but the relay isnt clicking.
I have tried bridging the connections at the pressure switch with no luck.
I also ran 12v straight to the compressor and it worked.

Any ideas?

cheers

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
No this is not normal. If it works on high speed for a little while, then cuts out...then it could be the high pressure (h/p) switch on the system is tripping because of a dirty condensor. However, from what you say it is appearing to happen instantly and that the problem is in the wiring.

Has the problem just occurred with no likely cause? ie no one has been meddling under the bonnet etc?

Im not familiar with how the aircon wiring is set up in the vs.

There is an ac button that turns it on? Typically these dont become active until the fan is turned to the low speed position. ie the ac switch gets its power from after the fan switch and then goes to the compressor with the thermatic switch in series with it. Its possible the fan switch is losing contact with the ac connector when getting to the 4th speed position.(Id start my inspection here)

Fourth speed is also activated by a relay, bypassing the resistor block.....but doubt this will influence the operation of the compressor.

A system that cycles on and off often could be cycling due to the system being overcharged and the high pressure switch tripping the system. You can test for this by checking where the system is actually losing the power to the compressor......before the high pressure switch or after it.
hey all,

first up my blower only works on settings 3 and 4 (not 1 and 2) any ideas how to fix this?

and my air con isnt working. im gettin power to the fuses but the relay isnt clicking.
I have tried bridging the connections at the pressure switch with no luck.
I also ran 12v straight to the compressor and it worked.

Any ideas?

cheers

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
There is a fan resistor block in underneath the black plastic cover below the windscreen near the wiper arms,you just need to remove this plastic cover,and you will see a small cover with 2 screws under there.Under this small cover is the fan speed resistor block.The resistor coils inside this resistor block can break when they get old,which is why you loose the lower fan speeds,all you need to do is get another resistor block from the wreckers and swap it with the old broken one.Ive even opened up the metal cage thing around the block before and resoldered the wire coils back together,it works,but they dont last too long,it lasted for 3 months or so before it broke again.I just replaced it with a good one from the wreckers.I have not priced a new one,but Ive been told they are expensive.

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
cheers fellas,

in the resistor block can i just solder in new resistors?

and with the air con is there any websites or anythin i can get a wiring diagram off?

cheers

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
There is a fan resistor block in underneath the black plastic cover below the windscreen near the wiper arms,you just need to remove this plastic cover,and you will see a small cover with 2 screws under there.Under this small cover is the fan speed resistor block.The resistor coils inside this resistor block can break when they get old,which is why you loose the lower fan speeds,all you need to do is get another resistor block from the wreckers and swap it with the old broken one.Ive even opened up the metal cage thing around the block before and resoldered the wire coils back together,it works,but they dont last too long,it lasted for 3 months or so before it broke again.I just replaced it with a good one from the wreckers.I have not priced a new one,but Ive been told they are expensive.

Yep, that's your problem, it's quite common...

Get them from the wreckers, not expensive at all.

IF YOU CAN though, get one from a Toyota Lexen, as they use a circuit with heat sink and will last forever!
as opposed to holdens dodgy coils in a cage....

And if i'm correct, VN, VP, VR & VS use the same resistor block, so get one from any model. But do try for the Toyota one...

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
ah, and sounds like your pressure switch is cactus, which is common also (not just a blocked/dirty condenser, as if it were it'd work for a few mins till it gets too hot and THEN die). Get switch replaced too! :D

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
if the pressure switch was rooted then wouldnt bridging the wires going to the switch make the aircon turn on?
there is four wires going to the switch. i presumed 2 were for the aircon and 2 were for the fans.. when i attempted to bridge them i got the fan working but not the aircon

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yep, that's your problem, it's quite common...

Get them from the wreckers, not expensive at all.

IF YOU CAN though, get one from a Toyota Lexen, as they use a circuit with heat sink and will last forever!
as opposed to holdens dodgy coils in a cage....

And if i'm correct, VN, VP, VR & VS use the same resistor block, so get one from any model. But do try for the Toyota one...

Im gonna try a toyota one next time mine burns out if thats the case.Its weird though,Ive been told heaps of times that these cars,the commodore and the toyota lexan, came from the exact same assembly line, and that they all use exactly the same parts,the badges and trimmings are the only differences...I will check it out though if you say its different to the holden coil in the cage type resistor, Its just a failure, and holden should have updated it with something better after the VN models.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
A new resistor from Holden isnt that dear. Dont remember pricing but it is A LOT different from the old one.
Its about 5mm wide and about same length and hieght not a caged one.

patskies

Reaction score
Members Ride
sorry guys for asking.. i really need a wiring diagram.. now im gettin power to the aircon fuse. but the relay isnt clicking when aircon is turned on.. i know the relay is working fine.. the in cabin switch is not getting any power.. im presuming the problem is where the aircon switch gets its power. as when switched on that will then close the main circuit at the relay. so now my question is where does the in cabin aircon button get its power from?

cheers in advance