Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con compressor

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
It has been over 20 years since the air con has worked in my vh. When the heater radiator started leaking I blocked it off at the water pump. As the motor is still out I have decided to get it going properly. My question is which compressor should I use? The motor is a vp v8. Sanden have listed sd7h15 for the original motor and trs-105 for the vp. Thanks Keith

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Didn't they normally have the big black GM Compressor, for the life of me, I can not remember the brand, [Delco Air]
I remember they had Harrison Air Conditioning Units in the Statesmen's, Monaro's that had OEM Air Con installed when ordered.

When I put Air Con in my LX 4.2 Torana Sedan, the kit came with a York Compressor,
it use to vibrate to the S___ house, and what a power guzzler they were !!!,

So I went to the Wreckers at the time [Kumbak Wreckers in Braeside] and bought a Delco Air Compressor [Frigidaire Compressor] and the Brackets,
Fitted it all in and got my Frig Mech to charge it up,
And you would event know the compressor clutch was engaged.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Didn't they normally have the big black GM Compressor, for the life of me, I can not remember the brand, [Delco Air]
I remember they had Harrison Air Conditioning Units in the Statesmen's, Monaro's that had OEM Air Con installed when ordered.

When I put Air Con in my LX 4.2 Torana Sedan, the kit came with a York Compressor,
it use to vibrate to the S___ house, and what a power guzzler they were !!!,

So I went to the Wreckers at the time [Kumbak Wreckers in Braeside] and bought a Delco Air Compressor [Frigidaire Compressor] and the Brackets,
Fitted it all in and got my Frig Mech to charge it up,
And you would event know the compressor clutch was engaged.

I don't know what replaced the Harrison air con but have read that the Sanden compressors are better. Another issue is the price difference between the vh and vp Sanden compressors. $113.00 for the vh and the cheapest for the vp is $590 I don't mind paying for the dearer one as long as it is significantly better..

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
look to Sankyo

they were one thing GMH used to replace harrison on all models

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
look to Sankyo

they were one thing GMH used to replace harrison on all models

Thats the one I was thinking of, they were a rotary compressor by memory, approx. 200mm long,
not a piston type like the York compressors.
There was another one as a replacement a later, that was a bit shorter and was very efficient,
they used them in the 4cyl cars, that were adaptable to other vehicles but you had to change the TX Valve.

Last edited:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
From what I have read Sankyo are now Sanden. I will ring them tomorrow and find out if the compressor they recommend for the vh is okay when used with an injected motor. I can't think why not but a friend used the vp compressor on his vh.