Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con has mind of it's own :O

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
hello guys :) i recently purchased my vs manual ute 1997 and i love it.. however one of the many problems it has is the aircon turning on when the car feels like it lol.. sometimes I'm lucky and it turns on straight away but sometimes it turns on 5-10 mins down the road :( and then when it is on the air is not cold at all! unless outside is cold (yes i have the ac button pushed in) the only reason i have it on is to get the fan to turn on to help keep the engine cool as I'm experiencing overheating at the current moment :( anyways if you guys know what it might be and also know why it is not cold that would be great..

I'm hoping it only needs a relay and a re gas to be perfect again but not sure, so please let me know thanks :)

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
Is it currently running on the windscreen de mister setting? (Regardless of what u choose) I'd be thinking along the lines of fan resistor... Also have you changed the coolant SENDER at all? I went through hundreds to find my gauge was Telling me lies....
, CTS (sensor), fan relays, and sender unit is what I'd be replacing first (as they're cheap!!) then id be looking at other possibilities like heater tap, thermostat, coolant, rad etc

vylover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Manual Ute
well i will be replacing.. radiator, water pump,thermostat, hoses, and power steering pump this weekend and ill just get those relays and sender unit's while I'm at super cheap getting my gasket for thermostat.. thanks anyone else had this issue to know exactly what it is? i really appreciate your help bowen so please don't get upset I'm still asking :/ but if anyone has had the same thing so i can go straight to what helped them out :/ thanks a lot ill try that too if no one else has fixed this problem for themselves :)

josh_lock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 s2
Is your a/c pump plugged in ? Dose it engage can you hear it click on and off as you push the botton ?
If not it could just have no gas in it causing it not to turn on because they have a gas pressure safety so it won't engage if there is no gas.this is just for your hot air problem as for you blower taking ages to turn on is beyond me

josh_lock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS 3.8 s2
Yes the switch to turn it on and off in the car
It's in the air box side of the car right down the bottom the plug should be onto of the ac pump
That's the vacume changing the vents

RCAddict84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Are u sure it's turning on?? Can u here a click and does the rpm drop when u push the button?