Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

air con makin noise

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
i have a vn that makes a loud winding noise from the air con...can hear it from up the street...my question is this... what is it and can it be fixed without lettin all the air con gas out? any comments appreciated.

S

SUBB

nosiey a/c

well me mite b able to help . me vp had the same problem , maken a nosie that would scare cats and dogs a block away, if it is the same problem we had , go to radiator out fit who do a/c and tell them to replace the compressor front bearing . it will cost around about $190/240 ichh. some outfits mite tell you that the hole compresser is naffed and it will cost bout $700 plus .replace beaing first. thats what we did.
hope this helps
:D

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Lost me on the "winding" noise, a screeching is normally just the belt being loose, they have to be pretty tight.

There is a spray on sticky stuff made by Nulon (I think) but it's only prolonging the change to a new belt if that's it, it's easy as to do yourself.

A whining noise may be the front bearings or other parts like the clutch worn out in the compressor front, actually fairly easy to fix the front end of the compressor.

At a pinch grab a S/H complete unit from the wreckers they will have at least 30 days warranty which gives ya heaps of time to test it, but if it's the bearing you don't have to re-gas the system.

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
thanks

thanks guys for the advice, much appreciated.... noise is definatly comin from compressor. Are the front bearings of the compressor easy to change? as ive never done it before.

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
I recently changed front bearing in compressor pulley - cost $45 from CBC Bearings... still trying to figure out whats wrong cause noise is still there... it sounds like pulley is rubbing against clutch pack(?) any suggestions would be appreciated... its not coming from the compressor internals from what I gather... I might just head down to the wreckers and pick up a second hand one... my air con needs regassing anyway.

As for changing front bearing in pulley - very easy.
Need circlip pliers - they seem to be pricey little bits of gear - $30 or so. I ended up buying one from supercrap for $8.50. It had multiple attachments and is able to do more than the $30 ones I seen.

Also a puller - if you haven't got one, can purchase from supercheap for $10 or so if on a tight budget.

Theres a single nut on the front of the clutch pack. undo this and pull front clutch plate off. (easy)

remove circlip from pulley.

using a puller, remove pulley.

another circlip inside of pulley holds bearing. remove this and carefully press bearing out.

insert new bearing and reassemble.

Youngblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS
thanks

thanks for the advice...can attack the problem now with a fair idea of what im doin... might buy secondhand compressor and use bearing from that...if that dont fix it i can put the compressor in it... hopefully it is bearing so i can save the gas coz the air con works killer. thanks again :)

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Sorry bloke I simply assume others have tools, circlip pliers inside outside straight and curved, all pullers, harmonic balancer to bearing pullers, tip, don't buy cheap tools they don't last, all mine are Sidchrome and have a lifetime warranty, "even if broken while swinging off a 3' length of pipe", they just replace without question. NP.

That would be the best idea, having to degas and regas costs extra that's not needed my personal car is in need for the same thing soon.

If you do change have to change the entire compressor, while there, change the engine mount that is hidden under the compressor, VS being 10 years old they would be near the metal to metal causing some vibration on heavy starts in first, the other side can be done much simpler.

Last edited:

TheIceman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Ex-cop
SUBB said:
well me mite b able to help . me vp had the same problem , maken a nosie that would scare cats and dogs a block away, if it is the same problem we had , go to radiator out fit who do a/c and tell them to replace the compressor front bearing . it will cost around about $190/240 ichh. some outfits mite tell you that the hole compresser is naffed and it will cost bout $700 plus .replace beaing first. thats what we did.
hope this helps
:D
me think u got severely ripped off. they are piss easy to do and cost way under $100 for someone to do it for you.