Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Con Once Again

D

drewzle

I know there has been lots of discussion about this topic, i need some clue on what is happening with my air con as I am not very mechanically minded so forgive the lack of terminology.

I have a VR Berlina, 93 model, I have had issues with Gas leaking constantly, which I think is a result of car accident, which the panel beater denies. But more on the topic of the problem with it is, that when its been on say for about 15 mins, there is what sounds like a rattling sound under the dash, there have been some instances where the rattling sounds will progress to a loud screach, the only time to stop this is turn off the air con and then turn it back on again.

Does anyone know what this could be ?

Cheers.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
G'day "drewzle", I would like to know how long the gas lasts for between "re-gas'".

How bad was the damage?

How long before the accident did you buy the car.

What area is the noise coming from? Inside? outside?

Is the air cold when operating?

I would have at a guess that the compressor is siezing up a bit, go and have a look at the compressor (lower passengers side of the engine) and see if when the squealing starts the compressor hub stops turning, get a mate to help you.

Check that the engine fans come on when the a/c is on!

Also check the belt for wear.

as for the leaking problem it may not have been the panel beaters fault that model is prone to problems.

Get back and I'll see what i can figure out.

Regards Guy

D

drewzle

> I would like to know how long the gas lasts for between "re-gas'".

It depends.. I have had to get re-gassed about 2 months after because of the O-rings.. the most I have gone for is 2 years before regassing.

>How bad was the damage?

The damage you can look at: http://masterg.iinet.net.au

>How long before the accident did you buy the car.

I bought the car in Oct 1999 and had the accident in Dec 99

What area is the noise coming from? Inside? outside?

I think its insider near the fan unit

Is the air cold when operating?

Its cold or on a good day, bloody freezing

I would have at a guess that the compressor is siezing up a bit, go and have a look at the compressor (lower passengers side of the engine) and see if when the squealing starts the compressor hub stops turning, get a mate to help you.

Ok !

Check that the engine fans come on when the a/c is on!

it certainly does !

Also check the belt for wear.

OK!

as for the leaking problem it may not have been the panel beaters fault that model is prone to problems.

Ohhhhhhhh Interesting !

Get back and I'll see what i can figure out.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Having bought the car just befor the accident it is possible that the evaporator (in the dash) may have already been leaking, very common. As for the rest well I would almost have to say that it might all have had to have been replaced looking at the damage.

The noise may be the blower fan...when you say you turn the a/c off do you just turn the a/c switch off or the blower fan switch?

Regards Guy.

gsmrobinson

Reaction score
Go back to original diag then...check the compressor.......!!!

Only other thought that comes to mind is that the Tx valve is causing it or a pipe is rubbing (don't think so though) but would have to listen to the noise to be sure.

Just as a test to make sure its not something on the engine under load wilst the noise is there, pull the steering over to full HARD lock then turn the A/c off. If its still there then might be something with the engine (but I don't think so).

All else fails see an A/c tech...What town do you live in? See if there is someone that I know in the area!

regards Guy

Fatboy

Reaction score
Hi.

This was EXACTLY what happened to my air con on my VR commodore after a front end accident and subsequent rebuild. Had that rattling/squeeling sound that drove me mad.

What you have is a build up of dust/paint dust from the respray in your air con system. And its causing a partial block.

The air-con guy replaced the TX valve under the front of the windscreen, and it still made the noise. After a bit of investigation, he determined it was dust/foreign matter in the air con system, that caused the TX valve to go nuts. He used high pressure clean air to blow out the air con pipes.

If the repair was done under insurance they SHOULD pay to get the system blown clean to remove the foreign matter.

Don't stress its a very minor job and easily fixed.

Hope that helps.