Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con only works on high

mrvx2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais
Hi all just pickked up my VXII Calais and the air con only works wen the fan speed is at MAX. Whats causing this and is it an expensive fix?

Cheers Frank

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Since you have climate control I'd say that it is a faulty Ventilation Motor Control. I have no idea about the cost to fix it but I don't think it would be real expensive.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Not sure if its the same part as Accentstencil is referring to but the most likely problem is the amplifier. This is the component that regulates the fan speed. Your symptom is typical of a faulty amplifier. Should be located somewhere behind the glovebox just to the right and slightly above the blower fan. Cost around $70, retained by two self tappers. Only takes a few minutes to remove (if it's in a similar position to the VY as described above) and the damage will be obvious once you see it.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Not sure if its the same part as Accentstencil is referring to but the most likely problem is the amplifier. This is the component that regulates the fan speed. Your symptom is typical of a faulty amplifier. Should be located somewhere behind the glovebox just to the right and slightly above the blower fan. Cost around $70, retained by two self tappers. Only takes a few minutes to remove (if it's in a similar position to the VY as described above) and the damage will be obvious once you see it.
Yes, it is the same thing I think, my manual refers to it as the Ventilation Motor Control.

mrvx2

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Calais
Is this only available as a Holden genuine part?

Cheers

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can't advise you on that. I purchased mine there and it is made in Aus by a supplier to Holden. You could ask an auto sparky, but I thought the price was reasonable from Holden anyway.