Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air-con operation

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Hey guys/gals

My VX air-con is not what I think it should be - is cold, but not icy cold, on fresh setting. Under used car warranty I have had a regassing and an o-ring replaced; I also had this morning some valve replaced (not sure what it is). In taking it back again, the mechanic confimred that he put the right amount of refrigerant back in, and both he and service manager suggested that I should use the re-circulation more often (especially around town) if I want the air as cold as i want it. Any thoughts? I am only asking for the japanese and euro cars I have had have had much colder air-con, would have thought a VX commodore would have matched or exceeded these for air-con coldness.

tk55

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 vt berlina
ya, i know what you mean. the aircon in my daughter's honda civic can literally freeze your axxx off. but even my vt's new genuine compressor replaced by holden about 1 yr ago wasn't cold enough. weird eh?

recirculation mode? it helps but not that at all. unless we both have a dodgy system? how is everyone else aircon (vt and vx)?

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Re-circulating is the logical way to use the A/C .
without it, you are trying to cool down the hot air from outside as it comes in.
its far better to cool down the cabin air which is already cooled somewhat.
worried about stale air? leave your back window down a few cm's

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Right on, re-circulate is the way to go. Not too good if you have some wanker smoking in the cab, though!...LOL.

Rhin0o8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais Impounded?
Right on, re-circulate is the way to go. Not too good if you have some wanker smoking in the cab, though!...LOL.

id tell em to get out and walk, my car is smoke free