Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con power level

Siggz

Reaction score
Website
www.flightsite.com.au
Members Ride
VY Berlina
Hi,

Well just recently I had my aircon in my 2002 VY Berlina regassed. All was going well for about 2 weeks, but now it seems the air con/fan/heater will only work on the highest possible setting... When it was re-gassed all the hoses were in good condition and none needed replacing. Is this a computer error or something other?

Thanks in advance - Josh.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Josh

If your speed control only works on the highest setting, it's likely that the amplifier has failed - it's a common fault but can be fixed for nothing if you are handy with a few tools and a soldering iron. The amplifier is located on the left hand side of the air conditioner, inside the dash and just above the glove box.

You can get at it by removing the clip-on panel beneath the glove box, which is held on by two or three clips. Just let the panel sit on the floor out of the way and don't damage the wiring to the courtesy lamp. The glovebox is clipped to the dash panel by two plastic clips on the bottom which form a hinge. Unclip the glovebox and remove it. You can now see the blower motor for the air con and just above it to the right is a white plasic fitting retained by two screws, which has three wires plugged into it. Unplug the wiring connector, remove the two screws and the amplifier will come out. I'll bet the soldered connector at the side has unsoldered itself, which will be the cause of your problem. Solder it back in place, then put everything back in place. It's worth testing the amplifier before replacing the glovebox, just to make sure everything is working properly.

som

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt executive
If it is simply that the blower fan only works on high (even if the A/C is off ) then it may only be a fan relay,$10 from Holden.On a VT/VX ,not sure if the VY is the same,to check you can swap the relay with the rear window demist relay to see if that fixes the problem.