Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Con problem

Richard B

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais
VZ Calais. On a hot day, the air conditioner blows cold air out of the demister section of the dashboard and not from the middle of the dashboard as directed by the controls. When there was not too much load on the engine such as going down hill, the air-con would behave it self for a short time and cool the car down as needed.

The car has only done 50,000 klm, and I didn't expect a problem like this.

Is any body else having this problem?
Will the dash have to come out of the car to repair the problem?

Richard

lein

Comrade Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VC 202/4sp
Sounds like vacuum. Either it was a long hill and that's just something that happens, or you might have a small vacuum leak to or from your vacuum ball.

ufo8mycow

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VF
I have not had one Calais that didn't have this problem from vs to vz. Seems to be a common issue. But yeah check all hoses, etc. What I did on my vs was I actually cut into a line and created my own vac with a little pump. Solved the issue :)

VZ_commo91

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ commodore Acclaim
Thread about this not to long ago. Pretty sure it was vacuum.

bcw61

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 2005 Executive Wagon
Thread about this not to long ago. Pretty sure it was vacuum.

Sounds like the exact same problem I had with my VZ Executive. Both face & floor vacuum actuators were leaking, as well as the the vacuum mode selector switch. Replaced all three & the problem was solved.

The only difference with the Calais, is the vacuum mode switch is replaced by a vacuum solenoid pack. A check on the entire vacuum system will need to be carried out, to determine where the vacuum leak is occuring.

BTW, the default HVAC mode with a loss of vacuum is fresh/recirculation door positioned to fresh air, and the other actuators default position to the demist mode.

The vacuum actuators can be replaced without removing the HVAC unit or the entire dash, however to access the rear actuator, you need to remove the centre console assembly, and the area under where the stereo headunit is located (well I did on mine anyway). It's not an impossible job to do, but just a bit labour intensive.

Last edited: