Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Con Problem????

azza85

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Executive
Im having problems with my air con. ok when i have it on its not blowing very hard and the recycle setting eventually changes back to demister setting. there is a hissing sound when i change from recycled to vent from outside. and i can hear it trying to suck the air from under the passengers feet when on recycled. just nevers cools car down. I would love some advise before i take it to a shop.

Had evaporator cleaned about 1 year ago (only about 60% could be cleaned), new heater valve replaced yesterday (as coolant was leaking)

any advise is good advise atm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E..VF2 redline W375.. 200 series landcruiser
there are so many threads about this do a search first

its a vaccum leak somewhere if you can hear it start pulling your dash apart and find it. if its not in the cabin then check the vaccum line coming off your manifold to see if its still hooked up and not perished. also in that line there will be a one way valve check if that is working.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
There is either a manifold behind the glove box as I found in the Berlina's and Calais, being they have climate control ,
or the vacuum leak is behind the dash at the back of the controls, or one of the control bellows.
Either a hose has come off, or perished.

Last edited:

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Here is another idea I did once, like a listening tube.
See if you can get a length of 12mm clear plastic hose,
assuming you can only get a min length of 1 metre [probably from Bunnings]
Cut it in half,
The hold one end up to your ear, then probe around under the dash, and you may be able to listen for the hissing.