Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air Con Problems

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey guys,

I have a VT V6. I had the heater core replaced by holden about a year ago.
Recently i had my compressor changed at the local auto electrics workshop. A few weeks ago i noticed that when i had my A/C on and the dial was either on the red (Hot) or white (Warm) there was a coolant smell. Blue (cold) was fine no smell, nice and freezing. However when i turned the A/C off, there was no smell whatsoever. Also, sometimes it would be warm/hot in the drivers footwell without the A/C or fan on??? Can anyone help my with my problem?

Thanks in advance

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Problem with the heater tap? Stuck on and sending hot water to heat exchanger all the time. When full cold is selected the heat exchanger is closed off so normal to get super cold even if heater tap open..

Just a thought...

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Problem with the heater tap? Stuck on and sending hot water to heat exchanger all the time. When full cold is selected the heat exchanger is closed off so normal to get super cold even if heater tap open..

Just a thought...
Yes i did think it may be the heater tap. Didnt know the reason behind it, just thought it might have something to do with it. Their relativity cheap so i think ill replace it and see how it goes.

Are they easy to replace? its just a matter of taking the hoses off the old and on the new ay??? anything i should look out for???

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Yes i did think it may be the heater tap. Didnt know the reason behind it, just thought it might have something to do with it. Their relativity cheap so i think ill replace it and see how it goes.

Are they easy to replace? its just a matter of taking the hoses off the old and on the new ay??? anything i should look out for???
Haven't done one for a VT, but have done HEAPS of VN and VP, VR's.

No drama's, just inspect all hoses and fittings and replace as necessary , flush coolant while your at it. Bleed system properly and check for correct operation. Oh and make sure you fit it all up the right way, should only fit one way but yeah, be sure...

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haven't done one for a VT, but have done HEAPS of VN and VP, VR's.

No drama's, just inspect all hoses and fittings and replace as necessary , flush coolant while your at it. Bleed system properly and check for correct operation. Oh and make sure you fit it all up the right way, should only fit one way but yeah, be sure...
Sweet, ive got myself a weekend project!!! on the topic of coolant flush. I have a general idea but not too sure. How exactly should i go about it??

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Sweet, ive got myself a weekend project!!! on the topic of coolant flush. I have a general idea but not too sure. How exactly should i go about it??
basically, take both hoses off your radiator, so you can flush it separately, and stick a hose in and hit it hard until clear clean water is flowing...
blow water through any and all hoses you have disconnected in an attempt to get all the gunk out... also filling from top, and blocking the bottom till it fills and letting it all run out quickly helps rid any crud....

you'll find a std hose connector (the bit on your hose that nozzles clip into) conveniently fits the face of larger coolant hoses and radiators to make less mess...

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
basically, take both hoses off your radiator, so you can flush it separately, and stick a hose in and hit it hard until clear clean water is flowing...
blow water through any and all hoses you have disconnected in an attempt to get all the gunk out... also filling from top, and blocking the bottom till it fills and letting it all run out quickly helps rid any crud....

you'll find a std hose connector (the bit on your hose that nozzles clip into) conveniently fits the face of larger coolant hoses and radiators to make less mess...
Cool, sounds easy enough. Does the thermostat need to open so water can through and flush the block and do i also have to turn the car on and put the heater on??? and when filling it back up, a bottle coolant and the rest with water should do it ay??

Coast_Calais

sick of the idiots here
Reaction score
Members Ride
varies
Cool, sounds easy enough. Does the thermostat need to open so water can through and flush the block and do i also have to turn the car on and put the heater on??? and when filling it back up, a bottle coolant and the rest with water should do it ay??
do the flush when your heater tap is disconnected, then you can also flush the heater core.
DO NOT run your motor, the thermostat will stay closed but water will still pass through, just not at great speed, thus i'd flush top to bottom then reverse..
ie, hose through top of motor, run it until clean clear water emerges, then while still filling, use your hand to block the lower hose until it fills up, and let it gush out to assist unsettle any left over bits...
then you do revers, filling from lower hose and allowing water to flow from top of motor...
same-same for your radiator and heater core...
when it's all said and done, fill with appropriate mixture, and bleed any air out of your system BEFORE you start car... (heater should be in 'ON' position whole time)
start car, and top up as necessary for first minute as air works it's way out and you bleed the system.
Then close her up and let it pressurize while you test your heater function....

I can also recommend only refilling with tap water only for a 'test' phase while getting things right / checking functions / sussing out leaks and when it's all good, then drop water and refill with correct mixture coolant... Just saves you wasting coolant mixture in the event you have a few attempts at rectification...