Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con problems

rabit29

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx series 2
One guy says to turn the ignition on then press the demistor button but doesn't say if it's the front demistor or rear demistor, also my air cans be really cold which is great but for some unknown reason the air con can just stop blowing cold air I can drive for 3 hours with no problem then other times drive for five minutes and it stops getting cold I switch the air con of while still driving wait about 5 seconds turn it back on and it's freezing cold again has anybody got any ideas I have had id checked for gas and it's ok checked for leaks no leaks anywhere please help

grey_hawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V6 Ute, VS V6 snotbox
Your rear demister is an electrical element on your rear window.
That's what the switch is for.

max101cfh

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 vx equipe s2
One guy says to turn the ignition on then press the demistor button but doesn't say if it's the front demistor or rear demistor, also my air cans be really cold which is great but for some unknown reason the air con can just stop blowing cold air I can drive for 3 hours with no problem then other times drive for five minutes and it stops getting cold I switch the air con of while still driving wait about 5 seconds turn it back on and it's freezing cold again has anybody got any ideas I have had id checked for gas and it's ok checked for leaks no leaks anywhere please help
Might want to check your pressure switch, it's on the front part of the engine bay on the passenger side

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Stop blowing cold air,
Or
Stop blowing air altogether ?,
If it gets that cold/freezing,
It sounds like the evaporator is freezing up,
Hence you turn it off for a little while, then turn it on again and it’s working ok.
That can indicate the ice on the evaporator has melted, then it will pass air through it again.
I had the same thing happen on my VY.

There is a couple of things to check-
  • The air intake could be partially blocked with leaves and gunk, mark on the screen with a texta where the bottom of the blades sit, remove wiper arms and remove air intake plenum cover.
  • “Make sure you note how it’s all installed first”
  • Evaporator could be partially blocked, remove under dash cover, remove glove box, remove fan, carefully remove fan resistor, and use a torch through the fan housing and look in the resistor opening to see if the evaporator is partially blocked,
  • Or see if you can get hold of a borescope and check the evaporator thought the resistor opening
If it is partially blocked, you can get a vac hose (without the hose fitting attached) through the resistor opening and vac the dust/gunk out,
Just need to be carefull you don’t flatten/bend the fins on the evaporator,
Check to see if the drain is clear,
Re-assemble and see if freezes up.

It’s a bit tight to do the above, but not impossible,
(Bit harder if you have big hands)

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
This was happening in my husband's VZ. He had it regassed and the gas dude said it wasn't going to work anyway because he needed a new compressor because the clutch was toast and that he could fit one for $900. My husband asked if he could just replace the clutch and the guy insisted that wasn't possible. People like that need a GPS recalibration for their ego and far be it from my husband to not supply one, so he went and removed the compressor clutch from an Alfa Romeo a friend had abandoned at our place, because it was the same size, just a little deeper and filed down that bit and proved that not only are some people d1cks, but they're ignorant d1cks at that, because now his air con works beautifully.

Moral of the story? Maybe find a compressor and give that a go if you can. And don't abandon cars at my place.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
I guess someone can also tell you a Falcon door doesn't fit your C'dore, only to prove him wrong by filing it down until it fits.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
I guess someone can also tell you a Falcon door doesn't fit your C'dore, only to prove him wrong by filing it down until it fits.
It's all about perspective.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok, turned out easier than I thought. You even gain a little extra ventilation at the top edge of the door!

How to fit an AU Falcon door to a VX Commodore:
(Falcon door has been made purple and transparent so you can follow along at home)

Step 1: Trim excess.................................................................................................................Step 2: Remove, rotate, trim and weld. Done.
AU1.jpg
AU2.jpg

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Aus78Formula Not even any filing involved, power tools all the way.
I think I just caught a glimpse of what I'm like to live with... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: Lex