Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con re-gas

Lexi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim wagon
If you need to get your air con re-gased does this mean you have a leak

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Needing to regas doesn't always mean there is a leak in the system
The aircon system can and will loose gas over time (usually years) and it will need to be regassed
If it looses it's charge quickly you will definitely have a leak somewhere
A leak would be identifiable if the aircon goes from blowing lovely cold air, to blowing warm/hot air over the space of a few days to a week

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
Here is an example of an aircon leak:
Years ago I bought an old Corolla as a runabout
Got the aircon regassed and in 3 months time it suddenly started blowing warmer & warmer air over the space of a few days.
Took it back and got it checked, that was when the a/c bloke found a leak in the evaporator
Got quoted $600 to do the whole job, but as the car wasn't worth that much I didn't bother
I just got it regassed again, and in 3 months time it blew hot air again....Just as I was about to sell it
Cost me around $200 to gas it twice, but I didn't sweat my arse off driving it during the wet season and that's all that mattered at the time

Lexi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy acclaim wagon
Needing to regas doesn't always mean there is a leak in the system
The aircon system can and will loose gas over time (usually years) and it will need to be regassed
If it looses it's charge quickly you will definitely have a leak somewhere
A leak would be identifiable if the aircon goes from blowing lovely cold air, to blowing warm/hot air over the space of a few days to a week
Thankyou

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yes it means you have a leak. Have dye put in to find the source of the leak when you have it regassed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes it means you have a leak. Have dye put in to find the source of the leak when you have it regassed.
need to check before using dye some parts manufacturers won't warrant parts anymore if dye is used. Your aircon tech should know if he can use dye or not.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
need to check before using dye some parts manufacturers won't warrant parts anymore if dye is used. Your aircon tech should know if he can use dye or not.
Dye’s never a bad idea imo. If you don’t use it you’re just guessing and will likely cost more in the long run. A/c components are cheap. I just got a brand new condenser, receiver drier and all o rings for under $140.

If the dye highlights a hole in a brand new condenser you’d be hard pressed for the manufacturer not to honour your warranty.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I agree EYY. It might be just Tas suppliers that won't warrant with dye. I asked about getting the dye in but he said his suppliers will not warrant if he uses dye. NFI why they why they consider dye an issue. Especially since its been used for years and surely doesn't damage parts. What they use instead of dye in Tas is sniffers.