Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Air con setup for 304 efi conversion

Jeffro75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 304 EFI AUTO
Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice on the best air-con setup onto a VN/VP 304 EFI conversion. Previous owner had removed all of the under-bonnet aluminium lines, compressor, dryer etc. I've got hold of an original VH V8 air-con setup but don't yet have a compressor bracket and haven't yet checked out mounting options.

Question is, is it best to hook up the old VH setup and compressor or is it an option to use a later VN/VP setup. Looks like all of the original VH under-dash gear and connection through the firewall is all still there.

Any advice and pics would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd be inclined to go with the VN setup as it uses 134a refrigerant. The older VH system uses a different refrigerant that's no longer used.

The VN option also looks much nicer with a low mount ac pump where as the VH unit is a high mount setup that really messes up the bay.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I assume both systems are switched on with 1 wire? So you can retrofit the 2nd gen into 1st gen easily.

Jeffro75

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE 304 EFI AUTO
Yeah, that was my question too... If I go for a VN setup, will the stock switch and controls still work???